our baby kitty is dying of FeLV, we need advice

Home Community Pet Loss Support our baby kitty is dying of FeLV, we need advice

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Rachel 14 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

My husband and I recently adopted a stray kitten we got from a friend of his mom’s. The kitty, Madeline/Maddy, is 6 mos old. Recently we noticed the glands in her throat were swollen, and she was getting weak, not playing or eating much, and having a high fever. We thought it was just a cold, his mom told us thats what it might be. After a week of no improvement, my husband took her to the vet (today), and found out she has feline leukemia virus. We have been so sad and heart broken. I know we just got her a few weeks ago, but she has already become our baby. I feel she is too young to get such a disease(if thats what it is), and we haven’t spent so much time with her. Now our first year with her will be her last. She is already in phase 3 of this virus/disease. I know though she can live longer, maybe up to three years, she wont make it that long. Has anyone had a cat with this virus/disease? What happens later on when they enter phase 4-6? Can anyone give us advice on how to make things more comfortable for her? We will get her the treatment that we can afford, but she is dying so quickly, what else can we do for her? What exactly can we expect down the road? We love her so much, and hate to watch her die. (sorry for sounding pathetic!)

Click on any picture to see full size:

Rachel

You’re such amazing people for opting to take care of this kitten. I haven’t logged in in forever and just saw this post, but I want you to know that just reading it makes me feel better…knowing there are caring people like you out there. One of my cats died of a deadly virus, FIP, last winter and it was heartbreaking. I blame myself for not keeping her current on shots and allowing other strays into the yard for feeding. Cats spread disease to each other so easily. I hope that you’ve gotten answers to all your questions by now…my only advice would be contacting a doctor/vet.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.