what colors dogs see

Home Community Dogs what colors dogs see

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Veronica 14 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

jenny

i was wondering what colors does my dog see? some say black and white, others say all and my friend said purple,black,white and i think blue(or green)

Veronica

I always heard that they were colorblind. But this article from google might help: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Are_dogs_colorblind
    "Dogs are not color blind – they see color, but their chromatic acuity is significantly less than humans’. This is for two reasons: (1) dogs have far fewer cone cells in their retina (cone cells are responsible for seeing color); and (2) dogs are dichromatic (they see only two primary colors – blue and yellow) whereas humans are trichromatic, meaning we see three primary colors – red, blue, and green.
    Humans have 7 times higher proportion of cone cells than dogs, meaning that when dogs do see colors, they are pale or faded. However dogs have a much higher concentration of rod cells, responsible for seeing black-and-white, and also much more sensitive in lower light conditions. For that reason, dogs have much better night vision than people."
    Who knows?! haha

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.