excessive shedding in labrador

Home Community Dogs excessive shedding in labrador

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Brooke 14 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Janet

I have a 4 yr old lab that we got last summer from a kennel-she is a wonderful dog and has adapted to life as a pet beautifully–her problem is excessive shedding. We live in Ontario and it is COLD outside so I thought she would have basically stopped but I can brush/ferminator her all day long and it keeps on coming–5 minutes after combing her –her back looks like a pincushion and I can pull handfuls of undercoat out. She is fed Fromms white fish and potatoe and I have started on a zinc supplement I heard helps. I spoke to the breeder and she says all her labs are shedding like crazy also–any ideas as to what is going on? I thought maybe thyroid but she isnt overweight and cold doesnt bother her and the shedding isnt more from her tail area………..

Brooke

Labs do shed a lot. The shedding will probably be heavier seasonally (fall and spring) but most labs shed a good bit year round. You can get skin and coat supplements for their food that may help a little but frequent grooming is best. Yellow labs tend to shed more than black or chocolate…

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.