question re water consumption

Home Community Cats Health question re water consumption

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 20 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

I have a wonderful cat whom I adopted several months ago. I believe he is about five years old. I have no problems with him, though I rarely see him drinking water. ?I don’t believe this is cause for great concern but just in case, I have been adding extra water to his food (canned only). He seems not to mind this; in fact he seems to enjoy it–but I just wanted to make sure that I was not inadvertantly damaging his health. ?I would really appreciate any help you have to offer. Thanks and happy new year.

Karen

Canned food has a higher water content than dry (it is not uncommon to see water or broth as one of the first two ingredients on canned cat food) and the cat may not need as much fluid as if he were on a dry diet or primarilty dry diet. Keep offering fresh, clean bowls of water and make sure you are not leaving canned food down all day (it can spoil). Since you are adding water to the diet, the cat may be getting enough water. If you have worries, contact your vet. Lack of water can result in some health issues.

Stacy

If our cats don’t get fresh water every other day they will go looking in the sinks etc. We have also started giving them water from our Brita pitcher since our water is chlorinated. Or we buy bottled for them.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.