Questions and Pine trees and rats.

Home Community People & Their Pets Questions and Pine trees and rats.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Frances 14 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jasmine

As well all know Christmas is coming up quick. Last night my family and I were talking about where we were going to put the Christmas tree this year seeing how it is our first Christmas in this house.
    My question is I own two rats they live in the dining room where my parents was to put the tree. As we all know Christmas trees are pine which the chemicals in pine are poisonous to rats. The tree is not going in their cage or not even right next to it but across the same room. Is it safe to keep them in the same room??? Will my rats get sick??? What should I do??? Help please.

Frances

I did a quick search, and found the American Fancy Rat and Mouse Association (http://www.afrma.org/rmindex.htm).
    This page has other pet rat organizations that you can contact: http://www.afrma.org/contacts.htm
    Their website discusses pine shaving & bedding, but doesn’t mention Christmas trees in the room.
    It looks to me like the danger is from direct contact between the rats & the pine shavings, & the fact that they may eat them, rather than a pine tree nearby.
    You should go to the AFRMA website, or one of the other Pet Rat groups, & ask them what they think – but I think that if the rats are on the other side of the room & don’t eat any of the Christmas tree, they should be fine.

Jasmine

Thanks. I was worried. I was hoping I didn’t have to move them too far away. They love where they are at because the kitty can sit on the ledge next to the cage and talk to them. (they love to visit each other). The kitty can’t get to them to hurt them (he is actually kind of afraid of them.). Anyways thanks.

Frances

Ah, yes. I have fond memories of my cat Fred, perched on top of the gerbil cage, trying to figure out how to get at the little furry things. It kept him busy for hours & the gerbils were totally unimpressed.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.