Two-year-old cat defecating outside box

Home Community Cat Behavior Two-year-old cat defecating outside box

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Sheri 19 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Sheri

This cat of yours reminds me of one of my Mom’s cats who would always do that when his litter box needed cleaning. Perhaps in a previous home she got used to the box always being in need of cleaning. I’d try shovelling the poop into the box, put her in, and praise her while she’s in the box. When she goes back to the box and finds it there later, she might get the idea that’s where it’s supposed to be. I would also keep her box in an area where I could keep an eye on what she’s doing and reward her when I catch her doing it right, and try to correct her before she gets it wrong. Most cats like to dig a bit in litter or soil (big plant pots are favorites), and I think it’s their instinct to burry their poop or something. You might try encouraging her to dig in clay litter – try the clumping kind that’s finer and maybe easier on paws. Perhaps she misunderstood some sort of punishments in a previous home, and learned the wrong thing. It’s also possible she may have been an outdoor cat who never used a litter box much if at all – if so, that lack of human contact may also explain some of her shyness? If she’s sitting in the litter box, but the poop keeps landing outside of it, try a covered litter box where it can’t.

tonina_md

I am not sure what to do about my cat’s issue. May is a new addition to our family; we got her a couple of weeks after my 16 year old male cat passed away. Initially I gave her his old box to use, after having thoroughly washed it. Now I’m trying her with a new box and that newspaper litter, in case she doesn’t like the clay stuff. Each time she defecates outside the box, I clean it up and lysol the spot to eliminate the scent, but she keeps doing it. She is a shelter cat, and she’s been with us about two months now. We strongly suspect she was abused before she got there – she was very shy and flinched whenever one of us would go to pet her at first. In all other ways, she is a lovely, sweet-tempered cat, but this problem really has me stumped. The room we initially had her box in was in a quiet area of our basement, which our previous cat did use quite a bit. I’ve decided to try relocating her box to a different section of the basement, and I’ve closed off the other area, in case she’s having issues with his scent being all over that room. She’s already been spayed. If anyone has experienced this or can give me some tips on how to handle this, I’d greatly appreciate it.

Is she just ppoping outside of the litter box, or does she urinate outside of it also? I had a friend who had a cat that did that, and all it turned out to be was a urinary tract infection. also, some cats are real finicky about how clean the litter box is…clean it everyday if that is the case. Good luck…keep us all posted.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.