Does Bunny need a Buddy?

Home Community Rabbits Does Bunny need a Buddy?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Terri 14 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Irene

I have a male bunny that was found at a Costco Parking Lot late in the evening last year. I thought it was a baby but, after having him a year he hasn’t grown.
    He lives in a 9′ x14’x 9’high aviary (food and water are covered) along with my 3 cockatiels and 1 parakeet. I put in a dog igloo for him to sleep but he prefers to be under it. (it’s lifted on top of block bricks).
    Is it beneficial for him to have a buddy? I’ll have to get him neutered. How do you know if he’s wanting to be with his own kind? What is the life expectancy of a rabbit?
    Thanks

Charity

Rabbits are actually social animals. But I wouldnt recommend getting another rabbit, until yours is neutered.
    And a rabbits life span is generally 10 to 12 years. Unless its a female who hasnt been spayed. About 80% of unspayed rabbits generally die before their 4th bday due to cancer.

Terri

If you do choose to get another rabbit make sure you get the opposite sex and you get her fixed as well. Never get the same sex rabbit . When introducing a new rabbit find a neutral ground somewhere where your other has never been in the house some people put them in the bath tub without water of course or in a hall way! You might hear alot of thumping and fur bitting this is normal behaviour for rabbits when they first meet. They must each have their own cage and must always be supervised when playing together until you are 100% sure they have bonded. It took our 2 rabbits less then 1 week to bond until that time there was alot of fur flying. Then they were the best of friends!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.