PetSmart….we all know them, but do you really?

Home Community Pet Adoption PetSmart….we all know them, but do you really?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Barbara 13 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Amy

Hello everyone, my name is Amy and I’m very glad your board is here so I can discuss a very important matter with all of you, please read…it’s very important to me.
    When you hear PetSmart, you think, adoption center, cats, dogs, pets, where most of America goes to purchase supply’s for their pets. But did you know…every week PetSmart throws out what easily could be millions of usable products for the Homeless Pets. Hutches, Cages, Crates, FOOD, Bedding, and toys.
    As someone who’s worked with a few adoption centers within PetSmart, I know how much of a struggle it is to maintain a clean and healthy environment for these Homeless Animals. You’re always looking for the public to help support them, feed them, house them, etc. If it wasn’t for people like you, their wouldn’t be foster homes for these pets or supply’s to maintain their health. Unfortunately, because these kinds of adoption agencies require so much, we run low quite frequently on supply’s.
    We have spoken with managers, we have asked for discounts on these products they are just going to toss out on the street, but still they persist on not helping us with this matter. As grateful as we are for them allowing us to use there space, the fact of the matter is…we need their help when it comes to this!
    Please let me know what your opinion is. We really need to let everyone know what is going on. PetSmart is always raving about helping these poor Dogs, Cats, Hamsters, Rabbits, Reptiles, etc…but the truth of the matter is, what are they REALLY doing for us? What is the real reasoning behind these actions?

Margaret

Actually, I have to agree with you. A friend of mine, goes to the local Pet Smart here and looks in the dumpster behind the store and it is always full of stuff that could be used by the shelters and rescue organizations. It is too bad they don’t give it to the local shelters etc. . She does get a lot of good stuff.

Frances

In this case, remember you’re dealing with a chain w/a set policy. The local managers may not be allowed to make these decisions. Policy comes out of corporate HQ, in Arizona.
    Draft a letter that states your position clearly, a statement of your position on the wasted material & how you see it being utilized for the good of homeless animals.
    THIS LETTER WILL BE SENT TO MULTIPLE PEOPLE. You will be printing out multiple copies with slight changes. A "cc" statement on the bottom of the letter will list every person that is being sent a copy of the letter. More on that later.
    This is to ensure that the letter can’t be made to disappear by one person; if six people have a copy, one of them will almost surely act on the contents somehow.
    In the letter: Include sections on how:
    1) selling these items (at a discounted rate) to the pet charity or donating them outright is very Environmentally Green, recycles what would be trash, & will keep the material out of the landfill;
    2) it will save the company money in waste disposal costs;
    3) the local Petsmart managers can disperse the charity items in their area;
    4) this thrifty use of what would be discarded items is very good for the public relations; they can publicize it.
    Make your case clearly, & as briefly as possible. Do not be abusive. Don’t yell at them.
    Check your spelling & grammer.
    Once you’ve written it, put it aside for a day or 2, then read it again. You are more likely to catch a problem w/it on a later reading.
    Have someone else review the letter, to see how it looks.
    Here are names & adddresses (I found them by Googling & finding the Petsmart corporate HQ website)
    CORPORATE HQ:
    Petsmart, 19602 North 27th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85027. Phone: 623-580-6100. 800-738-1385
    People at this address:
    Robert F. Moran, President & CEO
    Philip Francis, Executive Chairman of the Board of Directors
    Donald Beaver, Senior Vice President & Chief Information Officer
    Mary Miller, Senior Vice President & Chief Marketing Officer
    Telephone the 800 number & ask for the following name (this one will be at corporate HQ):
    Vice-President in charge of Customer Relations
    When phoning HQ, also ask for the name & mailing address OF THE REGIONAL HQ, and:
    Head of the Regional Headquarters for your region.
    Once you finish your letter, you will be printing a different copy for each person listed above, in proper business form.
    EXAMPLE: letter format: Your name & return address; "Mr. Robert F. Moran, President & CEO…" & mailing address; "Dear Mr. Moran:" ; the text of the letter; "Sincerely…"; AND: "cc:…" After the "cc:" list every name & title of all the other people on the list.
    The letter to Philip Francis will be addressed to him; Moran’s name will be migrated to the bottom of the page in the "cc".
    And so on, until you have 6 letters printed out, with everyone’s name & title appearing only one time.
    This is how to carpet-bomb a company when you want to get something done.

Margaret

Wow, that is great information. Going to print it up and follow it exactly. Thanks for that.

ngan

That is terrible. I can not believe PetSmart is not supportive with good cause. if they are throwing away anyways, why is it so bad to just donate it? thats terrible. I donate each time i shop there cause i thought they were actually a pet store that cares and support animal adoptions.
    I recieved an email the other day from PETA and it mentions something about PetSmart being involved with some kind of pet trade. they did an undercover investigation revealing horrific conditions for small animals and birds bred brokered by a major supplier to PetSmart.
    I cant believe it. where else is there to shop these days for animal supplies? how can you support a company that claims to be something they are not. i guess its jsut all about profit these days.. sad!

Margaret

There are plenty of places to shop for pet supplies on the internet. Granted you have to pay postage, but if you keep up with them all, they do have free shipping sometimes.

Cheryl

Use Yahoo Answers, put "Petsmart in the title so it will show up in search engines, then put your concern in the form of a question.

Barbara

Maybe there IS some differences between stores because I foster for two rescues and the Patsmarts we deal with have been quite generous with discounts, etc. You have to remember though that there probably is a corporate policy in this regard and that if a store donates they are not necessarily able to write off the full amount on taxes where if they throw it out they can write off the full retail price. That’s a problem with tax laws.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.