ripped off toenail

Home Community Dogs Health ripped off toenail

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  steph 14 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

steph

My yellow lab got her toenail caught in a grate and ripped her toenail off. Her quick is completly exposed and tender. The bleeding has stopped and I cleaned her foot but what else should I do? How long will it take for her toenail to grow back?

Frances

Veterinarian, now, for evaluation. It may be necessary to protect the toe until it regrows a nail.

steph

FYI, info from vet, if the nail has completely been pulled off, as long as the quick isn’t damaged, keep the paw clean use some animax if you have some and that is all you can really do. It will be sore for a while since the quick is made up of nerves and blood vessles. Limit activity if dog is extra energetic. Thanks!

Frances

Also, Neosporin applied a couple of times a day can limit infection. It works on all mammals (I used it on one of my gerbils to save her tail after it was badly bitten to the bone).

steph

Thanks! I have been using animax (good for ears, hotspots, cuts/scrapes my wonder cream hehe) Her toe took about a week and a half to stop feeling tender and she is now back to new and able to run and play! Thanks for the input!!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.