Wants to buy a parrot

Home Community Birds Wants to buy a parrot

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  MADDY 14 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Maria

My Daughter wants to buy herself a parrot and dont Know what one to get, she wants one that she can Tame and not turn out to be nasty. So if any one Got any infomation/suggestions then we would be Very greatfull to here from you. Thanks Maria.

kim

You need to look locally & see what is available. If she is relatively new to birds I would start with a cockatiel or budgie. The larger you go, the more complex the bird, the harder they are to care for, the more behaviours they can have, so a larger one should only go to those who’ve experienced smaller ones recently & have done their homework on birds.
    You cannot buy a ‘friendly’ bird of any kind. You as the human owner of the bird needs to train the bird & teach the bird to be friendly, happy & not bite. All parrots bite at some stage for a reason. If the bird were to turn out to be nasty then you need to look at the home & humans the bird is living with. Birds learn all behaviours from humans. Birds also do not bite or scream for no reason.

Maria

Thanks for your reply, we did have a African gray from a baby and was hand reared/ feed by my self but he turned out to be nasty for no reason and didn’t know why as i don’t work so had him out all the time but he was only nasty when you went near his cage to get him out but sadly we no longer have him as we found him dead in his cage with blood on him and we can only describe that he hurt him self and bleed to deaf, He was only just over a 1 yr old and that was about 5yrs ago.

kim

African greys are not nasty for no reason. There is always a reason behind their behaviour & it’s possible that you didn’t understand the bird. It is common & AG’s are extremely high needs birds & without these needs do develop behaviours.
    As I said it might be best to start with something small & easy & do thorough research.
    I do have 1 question. If you didn’t give the AG the time he needed then why get another bird? Even something small like budgies & cockatiels need proper human interaction & can turn nasty or feather pluck if they don’t get the time they need each day. Are you prepared to show your daughter the amount of responsibility by giving the bird everything it needs throughout it’s life, including human interaction, proper diet & vets?

Maria

I did give him all the time and got him out every day even our dogs didnt mind him getting on there backs, as i said i dont work thats why i got a parrot but charlie my AF did like my ex husband and he could put his hand in his cage but not me , he was fine as a baby but as he got a bit older he change but when he was out of his cage i could have him on my shoulder and he give me kisses and he talk well too

Maria

Yes i can and i did give charlie all the attention he needed and love but he just would peck me when i went near his cage and we had a vet to take him and i have been brought up with birds and cats and dogs and rats and snakes so i am use to all animals i did ask the vet but said didn’t know why he was like it, may i add my daughter was brought up with charlie and my other 2 children so she knows about birds and now she is 19 she just wanted one for her self as she lives home and i will get her parrot out every day so there no worries there because we had one bad experience with our AF there’s no reason we cant have an other but charlie was a tima gray and was told they can get nasty atfer we had lost him and yes we do miss him still to this day he was a lovelly bird but just didnt like me going near his cage but was fine when he came out

MADDY

if you go to petco dont get them there get them at jones and co pets in marysville

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.