Why does my horse bite me?

Home Community Horses & Riding Why does my horse bite me?

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Connie 15 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Brenda

I know all the reasons why horses bite, but mine has gotten into a bad habit of biting me when I stand near his stall guard on the aisle side of the barn. He might do it if he is protecting his food or might do it when there is no hay in his stall. He is outside most of the am and pm and comes in to have his grain and hay around 6 or 7 pm. He has hay in his pasture which he shares with about 15 other horses. He is healthy, teeth just vetted, no other bad habits and his feet are balanced. He came from the track and I have had him about 3 years. He’s 14. I can only imagine what happend at the track with trainers, groomsmen, or others. He is good under saddle, but this biting has me stumped. Any advice please. Thanks in advance fellow horse lovers.

Connie

Hi, I have recently read an article about horses respecting their owner/riders and I think that the issue of biting stems from the fact that the horse maybe doesn’t respect you? Have you done any groundwork with him? If so how has he acted when you worked him on the ground? There is a great website I have found and you can submit questions to the experts there and get a response quite quickly. The name of the site is "queryhorse"
    You will find all sorts of things there that I hope will help you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.