CAUTION TO BIRD OWNERS!

Home Community Birds CAUTION TO BIRD OWNERS!

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  kim 15 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Patty

A friend of mine told me that she lost her Macaw suddenly, it just started choking and died in a matter of minutes. She is heartbroken. It turns out that her daughter was cooking with a teflon pan and burned it. The fumes are what instantly killed her bird. I was shocked that she did not know how dangerous teflon is to birds. PLEASE, if you are a bird owner, especially a newbie, do your research to protect your bird! In the meantime, please be aware of the following:
    Teflon and possibly other non-stick cookware is DEADLY to birds! Usually it is if the pans get too hot, thereby releasing the toxic fumes. But don’t risk it! Just do not use any teflon products in your home, including teflon coated irons.
    Other substances toxic to birds include certain houseplants, oven cleaners, (I am so stupid that I almost killed my own bird with oven cleaner one day!) mothballs, some spray fragrances, like Glade and such, anything with strong chemical odors, even some candles!
    Also be aware of foods that are deadly: avocados (again, I discovered that one the hard way when I killed my parakeets, I didn’t know at the time it was toxic to them) artichokes, apple SEEDS, onions, garlic, heavily salted items, and probably other substances as well. You can go to several websites, including the ASPCA or others and download a list of things that can kill your birds.
    Please, for the sake of your sweet bird, be careful. God bless all.

kim

Gee, sorry to hear that. She must have burnt the **** out of it because it has to get above 300 degrees to kill instantly & burning telfon at that temp, your house is completely filled with smoke. So how did her daughter manage to burn in that way for a start without anyone knowing??? I don’t own teflon pans & won’t use them around my birds, but what you described is a bit careless of the parent to not even notice the burning for that long & the smoke.
    There are non stick cookware you can now buy that is 100% safe because it contains no teflon at all.
    garlic is always debatable as to whether it’s good or not. you can actually give 1 sliver of fresh garlic to your parrots once a month. It has the same benefits as humans eating garlic, parrots just can’t have as much. I’ve always given my parrots 1 thin slice about every 1 – 2 months. They’ve never had any garlic related problems.

Patty

I had read (and my former vet had said) the garlic was toxic, thanks for the heads up, that’s good to know. That’s why I love chatting with other bird owners, it’s a great way to learn what works and what doesn’t. I have never given my bird garlic after being told that so I do not know if she’d eat it or not. But at least now I can be a bit less paranoid of what she does eat.
    As for the other, yes, her daughter who is 12, was making pancakes and had it turned up way too high. The smoke alarm went off bringing her Mom on the run. It is a very sad way to learn a lesson, but as human beings we are all notorious for learning some things the hard way. God bless you, have a great day!

kim

For parrots garlic has many anti fungal, anti viral, anti bacterial substances. A natural antibiotic that is safe for parrots in SMALL doses. It’s said to stimulate immune systems, kills parasites, aids in eliminating lead & other toxins from the body.
    And yes we humans certainly do learn some things the hard way, all of us in some way at some time….

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.