19 Year Old Cat With Serious Bathroom Problems

Home Community Older Cats 19 Year Old Cat With Serious Bathroom Problems

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  denning 19 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

kmoore

Hello, I’ve got a 19 year old cat who was recently put on a prescription for a failing thyroid. She seems to have gained some of the weight that was lost when her thyroid problem was in full gear, but she’s still just a shadow of her former vivacious self. More importantly, she’s pretty much lost control of her bathroom functions, only going to her litter box every now and then and making an unholy mess all over the house. She’s apparently even forgotten how to clean herself up as the mess is constantly getting on her fur and tail. I’ve had to take the sad step of locking her in the utility room overnight, but even so, it’s a 15 minute cleanup every morning under nauseating conditions. She still purrs and has a little light in her eyes…Even swats the resident basset hound now and then for good measure…but her quality of life can’t be very good. Mostly all she does is eat, sleep and make messes. I love my cat dearly and want to what’s best for her, but I’m not sure whether it’s time to let her go or not. The vet is little help saying things like, "Old age sure does suck, doesn’t it." Has anybody been through anything like this? Advice would be much appreciated.

denning

hello, i have a 15 year old cat doing close to the same thing. i thought it was because there was a dog in this house before who urinated on the basement carpet…i could smell it the day we viewed the house before we bought it. but i recently found a mess at the front door on our new hardwood floor. he meows very loudly as well..so much so that he wakes us and our new baby 2-3 times throughout the night. he is obviously seeking attention ? i know we have a new baby, but we followed all the skills suggested to introduce him and include him with the new baby. i am home full time with the baby for a year ?? i don’t know why he is doing it. he uses his litter to pee and sometimes poo but most of his messes are poo in the same area (my office ? where the dog used to pee). i don’t want to put him down either, but he has lost weight in the last few months…sleeps all of the time and drinks alot more water than before. he has never shown aggression towards us or the baby. i don’t know what to do either ?

tarahmsc

My cat is 18 yrs old and has been on meds for his thyroid and his liver for some time now. As far as the litter goes it has always been an issue since we brought him home from being fixed when he was a kitten. It took a while but I figured out he didn’t like any kind of litter. He preferred shredded newspaper in his litterbox. So I changed it. He is one of 3 cats and each one preferred something different. Anyway, the other 2 passed & he is the only one left, plus we have a dog. I thought maybe it had something to do with the dog too, but that’s not it. He picks and chooses when he is going to use the litterbox. I noticed if the litter is not clean (wet or dirty) he won’t go in it. So I started cleaning it immediately after he goes. I also catch him before he squats in a corner of the room to go on the carpet and bring him to his box and then he goes no problem. It’s a mystery to me, but I just do what I have to. He has recently lost his eyesight but he manages to get to that litterbox most of the time. I love him so much and I can’t let him go. Other than the litterbox problem he is a really great cat. Sorry I couldn’t help you more. Perhaps you can try the newspaper and see what happens. It’s a bit more to clean the litterbox, but it might work. The only other thing I heard about is the spray bottle of water, but I don’t like to spook him with that. I guess if all else fails and you are comfortable with the water bottle, you can try it. It sometimes re-trains them. Good luck!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.