what breed?

Home Community Dog Breeding & Breeds what breed?

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  wendy 15 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

wendy

I am unsure about my dogs breed..I rescued my dog from battersea dogs home in oct 06 and they wrote down on her records that she is cross terrier but there is not a breed on here other than fox terrier. she is very ginger and has a thick coat. she loses so much hair everyday and my vet advised us when we registered her (as we have being doing anyway) is to not groom her too much. she runs and jumps so fast (so much energy) we think she has whippit in her.

Frances

We need a picture.
    There’s a lot of little terriers out there. Some aren’t very well known.

wendy

I have put a picture in for you to see and if you can give your advice to what you think about her breed? Thank you

Frances

The picture’s a little small for details.
    However, the head, ears & general build looks like the hound class.
    Could you attach a bigger shot? Thanks.

wendy

Thank you for responding..here is a pic..i hope this is big enough to help..

Click on any picture to see full size:

Frances

I know I may be prejudiced, but… your dog is striking a pose that I see constantly in my Marlowe. And he has some similarities to Marlowe. And looks a little like Marlowe, too.
    Now, Marlowe is Jack Russell Terrier & American Foxhound. He has a (proportionally larger) Jack Russell face, with the nose slightly longer in proportion to other Jack Russell faces. Marlowe’s body is from the American Foxhound: the size of a foxhound, the proportions: long legs, thin but a bit heavier muscled than the foxhound (that’s the Jack Russell); long tail. The Jack Russell made Marlowe’s rib cage far more muscled & hefty.
    Your dog’s body shape, as far as I can see, is very similar to an American foxhound: the long, slightly thin legs, the body shape… or that kind of dog.
    The nose is pointed, much like Marlowe’s. (Ignore the coloring, it’s pure Jack Russell & Amer. Foxhound).
    I’ve uploaded a copy of my profile picture of Marlowe for you to look at, that isn’t distorted.
    The coloring isn’t foxhound, though – it’s a kind of brindle, which could indicate a third dog in the mix. There’s a handful of brindled dogs out there: greyhounds (unlikley), Great Danes (probably not), boxers (possible)…
    Your dog’s body is built for speed – it’s thinner, long, lean, long-legged. That means some kind of hunting or sporting hound.
    The ears are SO like Marlowe’s…
    You should look at pictures of dog breeds. Go to the library & charge out: The Atlas of Dog Breeds of the World (Hardcover), by Bonnie Wilcox & Chris Walkowicz. If your public library doesn’t have it, have them get it on Interlibrary Loan. It has almost 900 pages & has every breed in the world in it. Browse through it & see if you can spot your dog.

Click on any picture to see full size:

wendy

Thank you for your response..

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.