my dog pees on everything

Home Community Dog Behavior my dog pees on everything

This topic contains 13 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 19 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Karen

Let’s go a step further now… a few other things to look into: Did the vet rule out other diseases that can cause an increase in water drinking that forces the dog to potty more? Have bloods done and rule out tings like thyroid problems, Cushing’s Disease and diabetes. This should be the next step. Is the dog on any medications such as steroids that have increased water consumption as a side effect? Have there been any changes in the dog’s life that could have caused stress such as bringing in a new dog, a move, new girlfriend, baby, new neighbors with a dog, etc? You did not state what breed or cross your dog is. At seven, he may be a mature adult or a senior (large and giant breeds age fatser and a Great Dane at 7 is considered a much older dog than say a Toy Poodle is at the same age). But rule out other medical issues and then start behaviorally if there is nothign physically causing this. Back to basics if there is nothign medical (and even if there is, revert back to basics). In the dog section of the articles on this page there is a housetraining section that is applicable to all ages.

hi i have a dog named elmo and he is 7 years old and a few months ago he started peeing on everything in the house bags,beds,clothes etc. anywayz we took him to our vet(she is great) to rule out any ballder infections and he had none. he has constant attention all day long. he is outside like most off the day he goes out at hours at a time. and yet he still comes in and pees on everything. i have had this dog my whole life and he has never been like this do u know anything that i can do to help him? thanks alot for any advice u can give.

he is a cross breed between shiz sue(no clue if it’s spelt righ..sorry if it’s not)and chihauhau(again no clue if it’s spelt right). we have done all kinds of testing and there is nothing medically wrong with him. he is not on any meds. he really isn’t drinking more then useual because we are watching him with that. and the only thing new in his life r my rat and one of my hamsters but it’s really not my things he is peeing on. it’s the other family members in the house’s stuff that he’s peeing on. he doesn’t even bother with my things or the rodents.and he is already potty trianed. like he will go outside and pee but then he comes in the hosue and goes and pees on stuff in here. do u have any idea what we can do? thanks alot for your advice

Karen

If your dog is coming into the house an pottying – he is not potty trained – sorry… Simple as that and you need to work at retraining him. Not impossible but may take more effort if he is gotten into the habit. And if you paper trained him at all, this teaches dogs it is OK to potty inside and can make housetraining harder. Now, waaaay back to basics: Get your dog on a solid eating schedule. If you leave food down all day, stop this. Feed morning and night, leave the food down for 15 – 30 minutes or until the dog walks away from the food. He needs to learn to eat when it is given and not when he wishes. A solid schedule for eating will also help determing potty times (in theory). Leave water down all day, however. Along with a solid schedule, your dog needs to be with you and not roaming the house unsupervised. Use baby gates or if you are walking about, umbilical cord the dog to you with a leash. This way, he is never out of your sight. The best redirection (correction) is the one that happens the instant the behavior of pottying inside happens. If pup is wandering the house and gets to realize there are times he can potty inside, he will continue to do so. Also, a correction after the fact is a correction that is lost. If you are going to be in a position where you cannot watch him (napping, going out) crate him. And NEVER leave the leash on puppy when he is crated or when he is not tied to you. A dragging leash can get tangled and your dog could get hurt. Should your dog have an accident in the house, you must catch him in the act for discipline to be effective – why in the above paragraph the use of gates and a leash was brought up. If puppy has pottied five minutes ago on your best rug and you just see it, the correction is totally lost. Puppies and dogs forget faster and will interpret the discipline not being done because he pottied in the house but for something different. Clean up the spot well and with something that will neutralize the odor. Use one of the commercially made products or white vinegar and water. When you notice that your dog is no longer attempting to potty in the house when tethered to you or in the same room with a baby gate, give him freedom of TWO ROOMS and keep a close eye on him. When he goes a couple months with no accidents, increase the freedom to a third room, etc. If you notice regressions, address immediately and do NOT wait to see if he stops, chances are he will not and this will make refreshing all the harder. But back to basics and rehousetrain – or more likely, complete full housetraining.

Karen

A dog that potties inside is NOT a dog that is housetrained – regardless of if he has gone outside or not. Your dog still thinks it is OK to potty inside and this is not a totally housetrained dog. I fully understand what you were getting at. It is something I hear all the time in my classes and a common consulting topic: "My dog will ask to go out but still sometimes potties inside even after just going out." Crates if properly used are not cruel – the issue is the cast majority of humans have no idea how to properly use a crate. Even many trainers have students overuse crates. I teach proper crate use – ONLY during training and ONLY when the human cannot watch the dog. The other option you have is confinement to a single room when you leave and if you work all day, hire a dog walker to come in and exercise midday. As for the feeding – from a health and natural standpoint, leaving food down all day is not natural and one of the leading causes of obesity in dogs. Dogs should have a scheduled meal time as opposed to free feeding. And from a behavioral standpoint, a dog who can control when he gets his meals and that does not have a scheduled time to eat is a dog that may develop "control" issues with the house. Generally the "my dog is trying to be boss" issues or "my dog will not respect me" also have dogs that are free fed. the dogs are in too much control and this gives them the feeling that they can control the house. I am not stating to starve the dog, but take the daily, healthy rations an indicated by your vet and break it into two or three smaller meals during the day. It may take a day or two for the dog to get used to not having this control, but he will not starve. And it will also help you gain better control of the dog and life in general. It helps the human gain the head role in the house in a more humane method than more "traditional techniques". go to http://www.k9deb.com/nilif and read about this theory that is very effective. It also may help your dog understand who is in control and may also help you get control over other issues like housetraining. However, if you choose not to follow advice and get back to basics and get serious, then there is a very strong chance your dog will continue this undesired behavior. I love my dogs, they are members of the family, but I am also a realist: like kids, they cannot be allowed to have total free run until they are mature enough develomentally and physically – why baby gates and play pens are important – to keep watch and safety if you have to step out of a room. (I am also a parent of two young kids). I am going to suggest a book for you: Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson – http://www.dogwise.com and http://www.amazon.com both carry it. If you will not consider my advice, at least get her book.

thanks alot for your advice but your not understandin what i am saying. he does go pee outside i know because i watch him. but he will come right in the hsouse and go pee in here. and sorry but i am not going to put him in a crate or anything like that u think it is cruel and i wont do it never have never will. and the same with the feeding i wont limit him to his food. but i am thankful for ur advice. and i can’t have him with me 24/7 i do have other aniamls i am responsible for. but thanks anyways

again thanks for all the info. but sorry i am not gonna say when my dog can eat. he is perfect just the way he is. he listens good(except for the peeing) and he isn’t fat. a dog wont over eat he will eat until he is full just like humans. and ya i am not puting him in a crate no matter how humane you think it may be. it’s just not the style for me. but ya me and him are working on him peeing around the house. i put him outside every half hour. and he is house trained. but seriosuly thanks aot for your advice. i’m sorry it’s just not my style. thanks alot though.

Nikita

i didn’t see this asked anywhere, sorry if it was: is he _neutered_? Unneutered male dogs can mark inside the house, and it can get out of hand like this – and, it can start without warning. the only solution is to have him neutered, I had to do this with my doberman as he was marking indoors and in pet stores as well.

kissbox

if its not a marking of territory that is the cause, then what karen said is the way to correct the problem. i dont see how giving your dog food at certain times of the day is a ‘style’, but that is what is needed to be done to get him on a schedule to be housetrained. ,,you say he is housetrained, but if there is nothing medically wrong, than what do you call it? …..id suggest going to your vet on this one. or you could tell us what type of answer you are looking for…what would you be willing to do? there are always ways of training that can make a person more comfortable with the process. as far as recent changes.. did anyone purchase new furniture? or rearange the furniture? anything that might upset your dogs daily routine and how they see things?

my dog knows his role in the house. he is a member of this family. and is treated as such. now you people may like your dog whipped and to do every little thing you like but my dog aint like that. and that’s why i love him. he does what he wants. but yet he still maintanes to listen to us. like i said thanks for all your advice but i love my dog the way he is. and for your info he has stopped peeing in the house, the only reason why he was peeing was because i had moved my rat upstairs. once the rat wad downsatirs he stopped it. now please stop talking about my dog saying he isn’t this and he is this. because the truth is oyu do not know him. and he is the best dog a person can ever own. just because he dosen’t jump when i say jump dosen’t mean is he not trained. it just means he can think for him self. again thanks for you help.

Karen

Dogs by nature are not grazers – they actually do best when on set meal schedules for many reasons. Behaviorally as well… But if someone is not going to take advice then there is not much else that can be done. But controlling food (think gathering for a hunt, etc) is done by the heads and not those who are not leading the group. Actually controlling food times is something many of us trainers and behaviorists recommend when there are various behavioral issues going on. It is the thing dogs all want and if we are in control it helps us teach the dogs to respond and work with us as opposed to giving them too much control. Dogs who are confused as to their role in the house are more likely to be issues than dogs who are secure in what to exoect ad what is expected.

calavino

hi, try not to be too upset i think karen was just tryingto help.i don’t think she was talking down to you just giving you the internet version of the training that she would give to anyone that came into her program.in one of her earlier messages she asked if there were any changes and obviously there were and now you have been able to correct the problem,congradulations.i also never crate trained,schedualled feedings or treated my dog as anything less than an equal and he respected me enough to never take advantage of the type of relationship i wanted to have with him…we did go to puppy classes together so he wouldn’t end up dead in the road or jump on peoples legs or any other horrific behavior.he never peed in the house never chewed anything never misbehaved besides the occasional romp down the beach to roll in a dead fish i’m sure there were a few more things but for the most part he was so good and as you said had a mind of his own.we all have what works best for us.something upset your dogs life and you asked people for help they told you to do what they know to work best for them and many others,can’t faultem for trying to help.

there is no problem to fix anymore. my dog does not need a trainer or anything like that. he is a good dog. lik ei said before the peeing in the house has stopped. so there is no need for anything that you said. and my dog eats when ever he wants to eat. i am not going to put him on only 3 bowls of food a day. if i wanted that i would ahve done it when he was a puppy. he is 7 years old almost 8 i am not going to start messing around with the way he was raised. and if you think i am a bad owner or whatever else because of it. then think that. because my dog and i are really happy with the way me and him have been doing things. and it has nothing to do with me not wanting to take the time to train him or anything like that. it has to do with me loveing my dog and likeing the way he is right now. so like you said before this thread thing is dead. thanks for the advice you had giving me. i am happy to know that you do know what you are talking about and i am sure that works great for you and the people who pay you to help their dogs. but it does not work for me. i have had dogs all my life andnot once have i brought them to a trainer and they were perfect just the way they are.

Karen

Thank you, yes I am giving the same advice I give to students and behavioral consults that I do. I have been doing this for 22 years and have been mentored by some of the best and am allied with some of the best in other countries as well. The problem is unless an owner is willing to work with good and solid advice given and follow it, there is nothing else I as a trainer and behavioral consultant can do on line of even in a class. Therefore I think this thread is closed. Coming from a family that has been doing this for more years than I have been around, having a sister who is a vet, having worked for vets and studying and STILL studying canine behavior, health, nutrition, etc., dogs are not born grazers and a set feeding schedule is the first step with housetraining issues along with ruling out medical in a dog that has been reliably trained for some time as well as getting back to basics. But I cannt force someone to take advice and I think that the issue will not get better until something is done. However, the last suggestion I or I think anyone else should make it that the poster contact the Association of Pet Dog Trainers for trainer closer to work in the house with him/her and hope that at least this is done. http://www.APDT.com

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.