Alternative Pets

Home Community People & Their Pets Alternative Pets

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Cara 15 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

john

I know many people that put off having a pet for one reason or another. The cost seems to be the main reason. Dogs and cats can be expensive. Horses, exotic birds, pigs, ect are very expensive and require much thought before accepting the responsibility. That is why I am writing this forum. There are alternative to the standard pet. Don’t get me wrong, every pet is a responsibilty and cost can mount up, no matter what animal you choose.
    I have never owned a spider or a scorpion but I know several people that have. One friend of mine actually took his pet spider to the vet. I don’t get into spiders but I guess you can get attached to them too.
    I have had fish but getting attached to them, I never bonded. they were pretty to look at but, for me, too much work for the reward of having them.
    Frogs and salamanders are on the same level as fish with me. Too much work for the little satisfaction I received in return.
    Lizards are great! Feed, water, and keep their habitat clean and they are happy. However, the bigger the lizard, the more work involved. Also, the larger the liazard, the more knowledge you need to know. Handling large lizards can be dangerous if you do not have the proper knowledge. A 5 or 6 foot long monitor can issue one very nasty bite not to mention, a tail that can cause great pain and discomfort. But in general, large lizards can be very docile if handled regulary and properly.
    One pet that is definately getting more attention is the snake. You will want to stay away from the rat snake, I have never had much luck at "taming" them. They have a nasty temperment and it doesn’t get much better. Same goes for the green tree boas, nasty tempers and they prefer to be left alone. RedTail boas, Reticulated and berm. pythons, and anacondas need to be left to those that really know what they are doing. Snakes that grow to over six feet can do serious harm and some can kill you. Rule of thumb, if it is over six feet long, never fool with it alone. After it gets ten feet long, the more people around, the better. King snakes, corn snakes and the like are great. If you have to get a large one, go for the Ball Python, very docile and easy to care for.
    Mice are fun but they will bite sometimes for no aparent reason. Same with gerbals and hamsters. Rabits require a large space and if you live a Rowdy life style, loud noise tend to put stress on them. That leaves rats, my favorite animal! They are smarter than a pig. More loyal than a dog. Will keep you intertained all the time. Rats are just like that, I call them the clowns of the animal world. Oh yes, they only bite for good reason. Don’t pick up their nesting box if you expect to find a new mother in their with her new born pups. I did that one time and beleive me, a rat bite hurts and is nasty to look at. It worked out, she realized what she had done and brought out each one of her pups to show me. Oh, Oh, if you are feeding a snake live rats and the snake doesn’t want to eat and you have to get the rat out, don’t use your bare hand. Astressed out rat will not stop at one bite!
    Well, let’s see. I have gone over fish, lizards, snakes, rodents, and spiders. Birds? I have had one and the wife got it in the divorce. It was a McCaw, Sever Mini. Great pet to own but they live for like 70 years. If you don’t think your kids will take it over when you die, don’t get one. They are expensive to buy, $700 to $1,000 or more. I got mine free. I did some work for a lady that raised birds for the commercial market. Mine had an egg defect(Birth? Defect.) the egg was not rotated right during incabation and the thumb claws were paralized and layed across the palm area. Did not slow the bird down but it was not marketable. I am a firm beleiver that these bird do not mimic speach. This bird would call out your name and when you would answer, it would ask "What you doin’ ?" and you answer and it would ask you to come there and if you didn’t, he would call you a "Puttz."
    Wow! I think I got carried away. Sorry!
    Jokenda

Cara

I absolutely agree with rats. I had a hooded male that I ofcourse called Templeton and he was awesome. I was so upset when I knew that he was dying. He kept escaping from his tank which was not normal for him and I would find him in another room breathing heavy. Poor guy.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.