skin problems with shih tsus

Home Community Dogs Health skin problems with shih tsus

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Margi 15 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Margi

About two months ago, I got a rescued shih tsu, from a rescue group, the dog was born April 20, 2008. Shes a sweet, lovable dog, however, after I gave her a flea treatment, since I also have two house cats, and don’t want any fleas spread around. Ever since then, she has a nasty skin rash, that she keeps scratching. The vet advised me to give her oatmeal baths, which I do daily, and give her some childrens Benedryl, which I do, but it seems like it is healing up, then she scratches and bites, till she bleeds, and she also bites at her feet and her mouth is irritated as well. What can I do? I am sure there are no fleas around. Also, yes she did have all her shots, in case you wondered. Thank you.

Laura

If her feet are itchy she might be allergic to the grass at your home. I would think that why her moutch itches to, either from eating the grass or biting at her feet.
    Your vet could give a prescription for some allergy medicine but for flare ups, I found Veterinarian’s Best (I found it at Superpetz) that helps as well. They have an itch shampoo and an itch relief spray. I use that on my dog which helps. It dosn’t completly stop the itch, but it offers him some relief when his symptoms are really bad.

Margi

Hi Laura,
    Thank you so much for your advice, I am desperate enough to try anything at this point. I will try that. I am also seeing that this must be a common problem with shih tzus!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.