Bird is scracthing above his eye bald.

Home Community Birds Bird is scracthing above his eye bald.

This topic contains 3 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Frances 15 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

amelia

My conure is 6 months old and i had him for about 3 monts. My mom was trimming his nails and accidently quiked him. I put flour on it to stop the bleeding and put him back in the cage. About an hour later i took him out and he scratched all the feathers off above his right eye and its speckled in blood. You can see two to five tiny feathers left but thats it. What should i do about? He is still scratching off and on. but i looked and i don’t see any mites of any type or any other little lice or anything. I feel bad that he probably is uncomfortable. he still has an appetite and he is acting normal. what should i do about this?
    thank you.

kim

Why was mum trimming the nails? It’s something that shouldn’t be done unless the bird has extremely long nails & should really only be done by a vet.
    If you need to keep the nails trim properly you need to offer the bird the correct size & various shaped natural branches for their perches.
    Please take your bird to the vet to get this fixed up properly & his scratching checked out.

amelia

his nails were extremly long and we couldn’t find a vet that trims birds nails, so they really needed to be done.

Frances

Get out your Yellow Pages, read all the ads, and see if any advertise that they specialize in birds.
    Or call every vet in the book and ask how much experience they have in parrots, and mention your breed. You should be willing to go a long way to get good bird vet care. (For the last two years of her life, I drove 1 1/2 hours to take my cat to her regular, excellent vet.)
    Go on the web and find the local parrot society, contact them and ask them to refer you to a vet in your area who knows your breed.
    Then make an appointment and take the bird in.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.