Re: Biting: playfulness or aggression?

Home Community Cat Behavior Biting: playfulness or aggression? Re: Biting: playfulness or aggression?

Karen

Congrats on rescuing an ADULT cat from the SPCA!

Where is your hand on her body when you pet her? It could be two things. Possibly a dermatitis, or a neurolgical syndrome.

The neurological syndrome is called ‘hyperesthesia’. and I may have misspelled that. I’ve had two older cats developed it, to a degree. I also volunteer with an animal rescue organization and cats there have had the syndrome. They ‘react’ from over-stimulation. One of my cats would crank his head to the side and his mouth would open and shut as if he were talking. The female cat would cry or growl.

Usually – it occurs when petting the cat below the ‘waist’. Past where a waistline would be if the cat walked on two legs, as in past the cat’s belly button.

If you notice she nips when your hand is below her belly button, as in closer to her tail – she could have hyperesthesia. At the rescue center – a male cat named Stanley would scratch, bite, growl – and two minutes later rub against us, purring and toe-dancing.

If it continues, or does not seem to be related to a sensitive spot, I strongly suggest taking her to the vet at SPCA and discussing it with them. Biting could be the reason she was at the shelter.

Good luck!