Re: Never owned a dog…which breeds should I consider

Home Community Dog Breeding & Breeds Never owned a dog…which breeds should I consider Re: Never owned a dog…which breeds should I consider

Karen

imaginit – I have the UTMOST respect for people who research getting a new pet instead of leaping into the fire. I have over 20 years animal rescue experience and ADOPTION COORDINATION experience. I suggest to anyone looking for a dog: Go to the online adoption sites, I believe PetPeople Place has a ‘survey’, what type of dog do I want. I know they have it at Petsavers.com. Take the survey, be honest. You may be surprized with the match.
READ: ‘How to be your dog’s best friend’ by the Monks of Skete. Watch ‘The Dog Whisperer’, Ceasar gives excellent advice to people on how to keep dogs happy, healthy, and CENTERED. And how to establish the ‘pack leader’.
Do you have time to attend basic obedience classes, and then teach the family. The human is the one that is taught, the dog will follow your instructions. I agree with Suebgone – no Cockers – not for kids. Neither are Shetland Ponies, but who are they purchased for? Kids. People I know who have had Cockers have ALL been bitten – these were dogs raised by adults, lived with adults – AKC reg. Last time Lorna was bitten, required surgery and the painful decision to have the dog put down. Dog had bitten before. My personal favorite is terriers – medium sized terriers are great family dogs. Loyal, smart, the heart of a lion. My mastiff mix is excellent with my grandkids, she worships the youngest, and SO gentle. But mastiffs aren’t for everyone. Research, network, then look for your new family member.