Re: Is it Fair to Leave a Dog Alone All Day?

Home Community Dog Behavior Is it Fair to Leave a Dog Alone All Day? Re: Is it Fair to Leave a Dog Alone All Day?

Lucy

I’m fortunate enough to live on a fenced acre in the woods, so my dogs have free rein of the house and yard via a dog door. I usually aim for at least an hour of play time twice a day for my Lab mix, and a short swim for my elderly GR. If I’m gone all day, I’ll usually have someone come over and throw the ball for my Lab and take him for a walk. If I’m late, all my animals are fed and checked on by a neighbor.
A good example of leaving animals alone for hours on end are my neighbor’s Beagle and Lab mix (my dog’s brother). Both these dogs live on 20 unfenced acres and usually end up spending the day, and sometimes the entire night, at my house. They’re lonely and bored so they leave their property and go where they know there will be pets and cookies, not to mention a soft sofa.
Personally, I don’t think it’s fair to leave animals alone for hours on end, especially if they’re crated. However, I can appreciate the fact that it’s essential due to work schedules. As long as the dog gets plenty of together time with the owner, and lots of play/walk time, I don’t think the dog will suffer unduly if left along. However, if the owner is gone for more than eight hours, I believe it’s wise to have someone take the dog out to relieve itself and have fifteen minutes or so of play time. Doing this twice during the day would be ideal, especially with a young, active dog.