Re: Q & A Lab pups Strep and hip displasia

Home Community Dogs Health Q & A Lab pups Strep and hip displasia Re: Q & A Lab pups Strep and hip displasia

Lucy

Like the person who answered your question on the puppy site, I’m not a vet nor am I an expert in the field of canine disease. Take my answers with a grain of salt and discuss your questions with your vet. Here goes.
Depending on the type of strep, your puppies could have gotten it from their mother if she had any kind of bacterial infection, a prolonged delivery of the puppies, or a vaginal discharge. It could also have been due to various environmental factors, including catching it from a human.
Since Strep bacteria is transmitted through saliva, it would probably be wise to keep the sick puppies separate from the well ones until all the medication has been given (probably about two weeks). Also make sure bowls are kept clean, preferably by soaking them for ten minutes in hot water to which a small amount of bleach has been added. After soaking, wash with dish detergent and rinse well.
I’m surprised your vet was able to diagnose hip dysplasia in such a young puppy and would suggest getting a second opinion. Hip dysplasia is believed to be congenital (passed by genes from the parents) and is caused by the abnormal development of the ball-in-socket joint. The ball head of the femur (thighbone) does not fit snugly into the socket of the pelvis. This in turn causes friction which damages the cartilage and ultimately leads to inflammation, joint deterioration and arthritis. Unfortunately, hip dysplasia is a progressive disease and will not get better as the dog ages. It gets worse. (Believe me, I know about this. My 13-year-old Golden Retriever, Teddy (see my avatar), has such a bad case of hip dysplasia and arthritis that his back legs sometimes collapse, and it’s extremely difficult for him to get up from the floor).
Surgery is the best option, preferably before the dog reaches 8 months of age and/or exhibits signs of arthritis. The most commonly preformed prophylactic procedure is a triple pelvic osteotomy. A new procedure called Public Symphysiodesis is now under clinical testing in young dogs. This is a preventive surgery that manipulates the way the pelvis grows to create tighter hips.
I’m wondering if the puppy may have some neurological damage, which may account for the inability to use its hind legs and the wobbly gait.
Hope this helps.