Re: Stubborn puppy

Home Community Dog Behavior Stubborn puppy Re: Stubborn puppy

Lucy

She’s got that collar and lead pegged for the end of the good times, and she’ll play catch me if you can if you don’t nip it in the bud right now.
Best thing to do is call her while you have the collar and lead in hand, throw her a treat when she gets close, praise her, then let her go back to her fun. A few minutes later, call her again, put the lead on, praise and treat, then take it off and go for a short walk. Keep her off guard. You don’t want her to know exactly when that lead is going to mean an end to her fun. Throw in a few surprises. Call her, praise, treat, get into car, then let her out of the car for another five minutes of playtime.
Do this repeatedly so she doesn’t think that having the lead means the fun times end. My Lab was pulling something like this with his ball: When he thought we were leaving, he wouldn’t "find it" or bring it back. So, I’d open the back of the car, ask him to load up, then tell him he could get out and play with his ball. I interrupt play time with load up and he’s never sure whether there will be more fun in the offing, so he always brings back the ball and usually gets into the car with it.