Shih Tzu won’t stop licking and biting paws

Home Community People & Their Pets Shih Tzu won’t stop licking and biting paws

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Susan 17 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Jill

My Shih Tzu constantly licks and bites his paws. I have talked to the groomer about it and the vet has seen him and given me a couple of different meds to put on them that haven’t helped at all. His little feet are getting raw and bald in some spots. I have even used a medicated shampoo the vet gave me and just put it on his feet. (had to stay on for 10 min. that was fun!) I tried Wellness Simple Solutions food that specifically said it helped for itchy paws????? That didn’t help at all either. Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions for me to help my little Oliver. He seems to be itching just on his feet……….all the time.

Sue

What exactly are you feeding him? Did the vet mention allergies? Try setting up a litter box with a couple inches of witch hazel & water in it. Everytime he comes back into the house wash his feet in it, then rinse well. Altho this time of year you’d not expect it, grass allergies will produce these symptoms. Often food will too

Jill

Mostly Bil Jac reduced fat and Blue Buffalo lite. He’s 3 year old and it hasn’t always been this bad. It probably has gotten really intense the last month. My groomer told me about this time of year and allergies to the grass. Thanks for the witch hazel suggestion. It will definitely keep my sinuses open :0)

Sue

EEEECCCKKKK!! ditch the bil jac. It is full of by products, corn, yeast, artificial presertatives, fillers – its crap. That could be your whole problem. The blue is ok. Not great by decent. I’m betting the foot bath makes a difference & if you get rid of that food things could be much better

Susan

Maybe try all natural food, rice, chicken, vegetables. Ask the vet about benedryl, that almost always helps. It will at least make him too sleepy to scratch. Use oatmeal shampoo for bathing. You could even soak his feet in aveeno bath powder. It really works for my daughter when she gets hives.

Jill

What are some dog foods people recommend out there? I know everyone has their favorites and for different reasons.

Lauren

Some good quality foods are Innova, Canidae, Nutro, and more. Nutro I’ve heard isn’t the best for small breeds, but I own 2 Yorkies, and a Shih-Tzu, and they’ve done great on it. I’ve recently switched to Innova, and it seems wonderful so far. They’ve had some watery poo lately, but I think it’s the food change, and once they’re systems are used to this food, they should be better. GOOD LUCK!

Angela

Try Science Diet from your vet. Also I have been told Royal Canin is really good petsmart carries it you can google it they have a web site. The benedryl is a grat idea we give our Boston Terrier half a pill when she gets to itching it really helps. she is allergic to everything.

Susan

Science diet is not for the dogs pleasure, but designed for the owner, to make their poo smaller and less mess to clean up. Just because it’s called "science diet" people think, "ooh, it must be good". Not all science is good.

Angela

We put Lickey on it for her allergies nothing to do withease for us it is about the only thing her senstive stomach and skin can handle. Feel like being Little Condescending today do we?

Susan

My comments are for "Lucky13’s dog" not you. science diet contains corn as filler, dogs don’t digest it well and some dogs are allergic to it, "Mom.. your dog apparently is fine with it". Here’s a good website that compares dog foods and rates the best:
    http://www.consumersearch.com/www/family/dog-food/index.html?source=adwords&gclid=CIi87LKIgYkCFRBKYQod4XiOQw

Sue

suer is correct & she is not being condesending – science diet is garbage & the only reason vets recommend it is because they get so many perks from the co from the time they enter vet school. I do not TELL people what foods I favor but prefer to give them the information to make their own decisions. Google the "Natura" site & go to the comparison wizard to see what the ingredients are & do. Another site to learn from: http://www.ourpetfood.com/comparison.html
    for the OP – I think you have witch hazel confused with something else as it really has no smell.

Jill

I think giving people websites and information and letting them make their own decision is great. I have a 14 yr. old Min Pin and a 10 yr. old Schipperke and have always had them on Bil Jac and they have thrived on it for that many years. We have tried Nutro some but the dogs don’t seem to prefer it taste wise. They don’t eat it as well. We have tried it on several occasions. I haven’t tried Innova, but am willing to give it a try. I will check out the websites that were suggested. I did give him Benedryl for about 4 days. It didn’t stop him from chewing his paws, so I stopped giving it to him.. The vet gave me Dermacool for his paws last week. Oh, my friend has tried the Science diet for sensitive skin for her dog that was itching and scratching terribly and it didn’t work for him. Any other feedback for suggestions for food is welcome!

Sue

Lucky, once you have done the research & learn about what the ingredients do – you will be equipped to pick your own. For instance: when you see tallow or rendered – there are plants where dead decaying livestock, roadkill, resturant fryer grease, & euthanized pets from shelters & vets offices are taken. They are all thrown into a vat & boiled – the result is tallow. The process is rendering. You will find this product in many dog foods – including the euthanasia fluid! Many foods have a LOT of salt & sugar, especially any with soft pieces in it or that junk that looks like hmbg. You don’t want artificial dyes or preservatives. All foods from the grocery store or WM are garbage & full of all the above plus a lot of fillers. They offer no nutrition & wind up going straight through the dog, becoming land mines in your yard. Corn, wheat & soy are known allergens to many dogs. many foods contain yeast – often causes yeast skin & ear infections.

Sue

Here is Bil Jac. Of course they like it – look at what is in it. Molassass! I think I failed to mention by products – which can be anything. Chicken by-products usually inclued beaks, feet & entrails. Corn – while is is not digestable it does pack weight on Bil-Jac Select Adult Dog Food
    1. Chicken Byproducts 2. Chicken 3. Ground Corn
    4. Chicken Byproduct Meal 5. Dried Beet Pulp
    6. Chicken Liver 7. Brewer’s Dried Yeast
    8. Cane Molasses 9. Egg 10. Salt
    11. DL-Methionine 12. Lysine 13. Vitamins/Minerals 14. Choline Chloride
    Ingredients are listed in order of their quanity in the food. Here you have by-products first. Chicken next. Actually if the water was removed (chicken meal) it would be much further down the list as chicken is about 70% water so that means the corn & by products are the primary ingredients. Your dog obviously had a cast iron stomach & no corn or yeast allergy! lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.