How Harmful Is Chewing Gum To Dogs?
My dog ate some chewing gum - how harmful is this? (Jared Campbell - Washington)
If your dog consumed one piece of chewing gum it is highly unlikely that your dog will suffer from any ill-effect. However, if he consumed a whole packet at once, it is possible that this will cause harm. The Animal Poison Control Center is testament to the fact that chewing gum can be toxic to pets. In itself, chewing gum is not toxics, however it contains xylitol which is highly toxic to dogs. Some sugar-free chewing gums are as much as 70 percent xylitol, depending on the brand and whether the product is used as a primary sweetener.
Research has recommended that if a 22-pound dog ate the equivalent of 3 to 4 pieces of some gum products the dog should be given medical attention immediately. Significant consumption can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, which can cause weakness, a loss of coordination and even seizures. These symptoms can occur within 30 minutes of consumption and last for anything up to a day. Treatment would normally include intravenous fluid application with dextrose supplementation.
- PetSmart: Pet Supplies, Pet Accessories and Many Pet Products
- Rescue Dog Nervous in Car
- Dog Separation Anxiety
- Dog has Frequent Diarrhea
- Dog Fear Displacement
- Foxhound puppy sometimes attacks
- My dog has formed a stricture at the end of her esophagus
- Visit The Dog Homepage
- Sign Up For Our Free Weekly Email Newsletter