How Harmful Is Chewing Gum To Dogs?

James Glover
by James Glover
View Biography

QuestionMy dog ate some chewing gum - how harmful is this? (Jared Campbell - Washington)

Answer

If your dog consumed one piece of chewing gum it is highly unlikely that your dog will suffer from any ill-effect. However, if he consumed a whole packet at once, it is possible that this will cause harm. The Animal Poison Control Center is testament to the fact that chewing gum can be toxic to pets. In itself, chewing gum is not toxics, however it contains xylitol which is highly toxic to dogs. Some sugar-free chewing gums are as much as 70 percent xylitol, depending on the brand and whether the product is used as a primary sweetener.

Research has recommended that if a 22-pound dog ate the equivalent of 3 to 4 pieces of some gum products the dog should be given medical attention immediately. Significant consumption can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar, which can cause weakness, a loss of coordination and even seizures. These symptoms can occur within 30 minutes of consumption and last for anything up to a day. Treatment would normally include intravenous fluid application with dextrose supplementation.

Disclaimer: This service is meant to provide advice only and is not meant to replace an appointment with a registered veterinarian. Users should always seek a second opinion. Unfortunately we are only able to answer several questions per week so not everyone gets a published answer. And, unfortunately we can't answer by email.
Add Your Comment
Related Resources
Readers' Comments (Newest to Oldest)
United Kingdom
annsgems
Message Me!
Add to Friends
Junior Member
Added on April 29th, 2010
hello there if dogs eat polo mints are they harmful to dogs