Dogs and Chains

Home Community Dogs Dogs and Chains

This topic contains 25 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  adriean 16 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author

Mikka

this whole post angers me though, why would she even ask us if she is going to continue what she wants any way?

Danny
    Participant

…guilt…

Mikka

she needs to fix it than

Danny
    Participant

i ee gree..

Mary

Chaining a dog may not be the best solution, but it sounds as if you really do love your dog. I have adopted a boxer who was chained in the back yard&forgotten. She was an awful sight,and was frightened of people. These were people who made no effort to care for her. You don’t sound like that at all. You’re making an effort to spend time with your dog, and trying to find another way to keep her safe from cars, and anything else that could injure her. That says a lot about the kind of dog owner you are. She is lucky to have an owner that cares about her.

Mary

One other thought you may not have concidered, Haybell. Maybe you could find some one willing to co-own your dog that could provide a home that wouldn’t require chaining. A lot of people would like to have a dog, but can’t afford the money or time. Co-owning a dog could work out to be a solution for your dog, and, after all, it really is about your dog, and what is best for her/him. Remember, chaining a dog keeps him out of the road and out of other peoples yards, but it also makes him vulnerable to attack from other dogs or people. He/she just can’t get away, or really do much to protect herself.

Tina

I don’t think you’re a bad person, because you seem to care for animals.
    But I have a feeling you must question it yourself or you wouldn’t have written this.
    We have 5 cats and two dogs that we willingly took in, one dog is very large and they both sleep with us. They are very welled trained.
    The cats are a different story! They are not allowed outside, and two of them are constantly getting into trouble. But the bottom line is, once you take on this responsibility, it is up to you to be the best pet companion you can be. I’ve learned not to put valuable statues in their reach! That’s MY bad!
    He depends on you for everything, including your home and time.
    So many animals are taken in by people who then decide they can’t handle it so they end up in shelters. Please don’t let this happen. Start off slow, have the dog in with you when you can devote the whole time with them.
    If he chases the cats, make a shake can, that’s an empty pop can with a few coins taped inside. When he goes to chase the cats, throw the can to startle him.(NOT AT THE DOG!)
    You don’t even have to let him see you do it. He will catch on that when he chases them, that horrible sound will happen. Hopefully, with some patience, and a little imaginitive training, he will be able to remain inside. Good luck!

Tracy

While I understand your wanting to help these kittens so that they don’t have to go to a shelter, I strongly feel that your priority should be your dog. You have a responsibility to him first and foremost since he was there first. Chaining him in your yard is not the solution.
    Imagine his confusion after being inside all this time and then being left outside all the time with limited space to roam. Not to mention what can happen if another animal comes into his yard and attacks him…he’ll only have that limited space that the chain will allow him to get away or try to defend himself.
    The dog was there before the kittens. The kittens should go to a no kill facility.

adriean

A little late on this topic, but I have to say I don’t believe it’s ok to chain a dog outside regardless of the reason. I live in a 3 bedroom condo with 4 cats and 2 dogs, one of my dogs used to chase the cats when I first adopted her 6 mos ago, but I trained her not to, now when the cats run by or jump up she just looks at me and I show her 1 finger and she knows that means NO! I have seen dogs chained outside and it looks horrible. In California it is against the law to have a backyard dog as they call it and that means even a chained dog. Most people don’ call anyone or say anything about it, but I do. If I see a dog chained outside I call the humane society who will come out. Dogs can be outside with extremely good shelter but not on chains. Personally my dogs belong inside cats and all.

Mary

Wow, Adriean, I had no idea Cal. was that strict on dog ownership. Here in Ok., we have been having a lot of articles in the paper lately about puppy mills. It seems people here just don’t appriciate their dogs. I think it’s great that it’s illegal to have a "back yard" dog. My dogs are pretty much my babies; in the house with the rest of the family.

adriean

California has many good laws protecting animals, but it’s up to us as human beings to see that these laws are followed. Notify your local humane society when you see something that is not right or call the local police, do what ever it takes to get people to follow the rules. We can’t help every animal, but we should do our best to help those we can, and chaining a dog is not acceptable and if you have to chain a dog outside then you have not business having a dog. That’s just my opinion and it’s not written in stone.

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.