kong toy

Home Community Dogs kong toy

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Deborah 16 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Nicky

Can anyone tell me what and how the kong toy actually works? Does it relieve boredom? Help with teething? Is it safe round children? thanks everyone

Sue

sarah

I bought one for my dog bbecasue the trainer at petsmart recomened it due to he chews up all of his toys in a mtter of minutes. She said to spray the kong cheese wiz in it or just buy cheeze wiz for it. I never sprayed anything in it and maybe I should becasue he really doesn’t know what to do with the toy. It has not been chewed up, but it really can be used as decoration and he would not notice it gone. I think I will try the cheeze wiz and see if he likes it. I think if it had a squeeker in it, he would be more attracted to it.

Jennifer

I have never had a dog that liked kongs, unless it had food on it or inside of it. They’re expensive too. Dogs lose interest in things they cannot destruct, it’s no fun to them!

Kit

The kong toy is a heavy duty rubber toy that is usually shaped like a snowman type.It has a whole in the center enbaling you to put treats in the center. I think that their is a gel treat that you are supposed to put in the center. You don’t really have to do that if you don’t want to, you can just leave it plain for the dog to throw around and play with. ( they sell them for ferrets as well) I’m sure that if the dog enjoys the toy it will releive some boredom. It would help with teething because it is made from the same material as some dog teething toys. It would probably be safe around children as long as it you don’t get one that is so small a child could choke on it.

Sue

if ya’ll check the link I posted – there are tons of recipes there to use. Even how to make Kongcycles. Milo you use stuff in it that is hard to get out, mainly peanut butter with little treats.

Patti

Being I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier he is a chewer. The Kong toys are wonderful. I spent so much money on toys when he was a puppy that were destroyed in minutes. He still has his original kongs and still plays with them. He especially likes the Kong stuff-a-ball. It looks like an octagon with ridges all the way around. I put puppy size dog biscuits in it and he will crunch it, roll it and toss it to get the cookies out of it. And he learned to do that all by himself. So he did learn something from using the Kong. He actually brings it to me when it is empty to fill again. LOL!!
    The one that looks like a jack with ridges is great for puppies while in a crate. Smooth peanut butter in the ridges and it will keep him occupied for quite awhile.

Nicky

Thanks for all your tips, off to the shops to get one!! 🙂

Sue

they even make them for birds!

garima

They sell kong toys on here for birds and dogs. It’s crazy how strong their beaks are. I once saw a toy for a bird that was labeled "Bullet Proof"

Patti

I did not know they made kongs for birds. That is really kind of funny. I am sure the birds love ’em too.

Lucy

If you have a water dog, the Water Kong is a great toy because it floats high enough out of the water to be seen. The Kong balls bounce and roll forever, which gives a retriever a good run, and the Kong toys have an outstanding warranty. The company stands by their word if there is a problem with one of their products. When Water Kongs were first introduced, I bought one. Unfortunately, it sank because the stopper came out. I wrote the company and they sent me a replacement.

Patti

That is good to know. The Kong toy is the only toys that have out lasted every other toy my Staffordshire Bull Terrier has had. I thought the cost at first was alittle too much but 3 years later..they are worth every penny.

Alison

I put kibble in mine before I leave and it tires my dog out trying to get it out. My friends dog on the other hand hates his… It’s kinda hit or miss. If your dog like or doesn’t mind rubber toys them I would try it. Cheese wiz, kibble or treats all work to put in. I have hard time cleaning the cheese wiz out though.

Mikka

i have a kongs for my boxers which are notorious chewers and they both love them. i stuff treats in the bottom which makes the dog have to use his tongue to lick them out, my male will also hunker down and just chew away and ive had it for many months and there are no teeth marks and no missing chunks.
    all a kong is is a rubber cone with a hole slightly bigger than a quarter in the bottom so es its safe around children.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.