what to feed a pit bull?

Home Community Dog Food & Feeding what to feed a pit bull?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  ramin 17 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Jennifer

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to feed an American Pit Bull Terrier? I know that they have different nutritional requirements than a lot of other dogs, so I was wanting to know what brand of commercial dogfood would be best suited for the breed. Any suggestions/advice would be great! Thanks.

Sue

I don’t believe there is any different nutritional need, the only thing I have ever heard is because they are prone to skin problems, feed them a quality food, lamb & rice. No grocery store stuff, no corn wheat or soy, by-products, etc. You can google "natura" for info as well as: http://www.purelypets.com/articles/whatsinfood.htm

Jennifer

Thanks a lot, The sight was very helpful! I am grosed out by the store brand commercial dogfoods now! I can’t believe the ingredients they use for store brands are legal.

Sue

Your welcome. and then they tell you how good they are! PetSmart carries a couple that aren’t bad. Nutro, the Natural Choice is better than the Nutro Max. Neither are premiums but they are decent. They also have Blue that isn’t bad. Most of the good foods are found at feed mills, sometimes at health food stores, I just bought Innova at a very small grooming salon. The Innova is raw diet in kibble form. Then of course there is BARF – which is a raw diet

Criss

Base your choice on your dogs age and activity level. Only 10% of all ALLERGIC dogs have true food allergy’s. If you suspect allergies look at flea control first 75% of dogs are allergic to fleas but you can’t assume allergies based on breed alone. As far as foods to avoid regarding allergies, beef,wheat,soy and dairy products are the ones of primary concern. Look for a diet using meat based proteins and avoid soy, corn gluten, wheat gluten..etc. Corn is ok if it is ground as a carb source. Contrary to what you may hear, byproducts are not all bad, it varies from brand to brand, point is they are another good source of meat based proteins and you want that for good muscle tone for your dog. There are good commercial brands out there just look for meats near or at the top of the ingrediant panel. Cheers!

Sue

I must correct something I wrote in a previous post. the Innova EVO is raw diet in kibble form, not the plain Innova. CW I would have to disagree with much of what you have written but to each his own. That is why I have posted the links so people can read & decide for themselves. Oh & here is another link for you. http://www.purelypets.com/articles/whatsinfood.htm

Jennifer

I am feeding my puppy Natural Choice, Lamb & Rice large breed puppy formula. So far I like what I see in the ingredients. It’s only sold at Pet stores, at least I haven’t seen it in grocery stores yet, and it isn’t preserved with BHA.

Criss

Sue, your link is to an online store thats promoting the holistic products they sell as do most of the holistic sights. A good pet store or even the grocery stores offer healthier choices. Both Iams and Purina ONE are examples.

Monique

Pit bulls do not have a different nutritional requirement than other dogs, but like all dogs should be fed a high quality diet.

Store foods contain decaying, diseased matter, hormones, chemicals and medications that the animals consumed before being turned into "dog food," fillers, sugars, dyes, preservatives…basically a lot of crap. If it’s not fit for human consumption…it’s in your dogs food!

I feed and recommend the Fish and Chips formula from http://www.frrco.com/121668 because it is human grade ingredients, not fried, non-allergic, not full of fillers, and highly digestible, which means less poop for you to clean up! Another plus: You feed less than store bought brands because it’s higher quality, and with free shipping it comes to about the same as store bought foods per serving!!!

Be careful about your dogs treats as well. Many of those on the market are crap as well. You can purchase treats from the above website as well. You can break the wafer treats into smaller pieces, perfect for training!

Good luck with your pups!

Patti

Liberty, I can’t get the site to upload. Do they have good weight control dog food too?

Jennifer

I guess I wasn’t being specific enough, I wasn’t literally trying to say they need different food requirements, what I meant is every breed has a different need of each ingredient, depending on their breed type. I read somewhere that pit bulls need more or less of certain ingredients, and it was stated that not every brand of dog food is for "all breeds" like most dog foods claim. I think I read it off of a site called ‘American Pit Bull Registry’, but I am not sure. It was a long time ago. I feed my dog Nutro Natural Choice, lamb and rice for large breed puppies, and he does real well on it. He had a bit of a skin problem when I first got him, and ever since feeding him this food, his coat has grown in healthy, he’s filled out better, and tons of energy!—I used aloe vera on his skin also, after shampooing to ease the dryness, and that helped.

Rachel

NBC just did a story on the benefits of feeding pets natural foods, and they showed Innova as a fantastic choice. I honestly don’t find it too be much more expensive, although it would be worth it too me even if it was.

Jennifer

Can you buy it from PetSmart? Feedstores that sell brand dog foods, I have found to be vey expensive. I never noticed that brand where I live. I will look the next time I go to the pet store.

Rachel

I don’t think it is at Petsmart. You may look online for it as I think it is found it natural food stores for pets. Good luck!

Sue

Pet stores do not normally sell any of the premium foods. They can most often be found at feed stores, groomers, & health food stores. Innova is an excellent food, so is California Natural. Innova also makes EVO which is raw in kibble form. You can go to the "Natura" site for more info & there is a store locator tab at the top of the pg. They also have the comparison wizard where you can compare up to 4 brands of food at once.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.