My limping 8 year old boy…

Home Community Dogs My limping 8 year old boy…

This topic contains 68 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Susan 17 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)
  • Author

Susan

I’m sure he’ll do great! Try not to stress too much. I hope you’ve got your christmas shopping done because you probably won’t be leaving the house for a while. Good Luck.

Deborah

Hey everyone! I haven’t seen him yet, but he went thru’ the surgery with flying colours yesterday. The tech. called me after it was over and he was awake. We will be picking him up from the hospital on Saturday. That’s tomorrow! I can’t imagine the shape that he’ll be in…so nervous for that. I guess I’m just a nervous person lately, huh? I AM glad that we have move forward tho’…so we can get to the next step and be on our way to having a normal life again. I miss our normal life. So, this is the point to which we have arrived…I’ll keep ya’all posted and in the loop, so to speak, so you will have a first account on what a dog goes thru’ after a T.P.L.O. Speak with you later…

Lucy

Happy homecoming! Hope all goes well for your best bud and the family. May 2007 bring with it happiness, wellness and friendship for all of you.

Deborah

UPDATE: My boy is doing really well. He had his bandages removed from his knee on Thursday, Dec.21st. He has staples instead of stitches. They want us to keep him very quiet, so he’ll be in his crate for the next two months. He is allowed to walk ONLY to go potty. He’s never alone so he’s not suffering. After the two months he’ll be able to begin his exercise program, SLOWLY, so he can regain his muscle mass that he lost. Next Thursay Dec. 28th he’ll have the staples removed. I AM SO HAPPY that this is all moving forward. By the time summer rolls around he’ll be able to run and jump and play… I’ll just consider this winter his hybernation period…lol…It’s so cold and snowy out here in Montreal anyhow during the January, February and March months…so being outside wasn’t for such long periods as it was. So, that is the news. I will keep updating cuz I really hope to be of service to anyone that may have to put themselves thru’ the same ordeal. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ONE AND ALL XOXOXOOXOXOXOXOX

Susan

I’m glad to hear he’s going to be fine. Hey, maybe I’ll take you up on the offer of help, I just broke my pinky toe this morning! I thought I dislocated it because it was sticking out the side, I pulled on it and put it back in position (luckily it was numb at the time). It turns out it was broke and I reset it myself). It actually hurts less than a bad sprang. Anyway, good luck with your baby.

Deborah

Ewwwww, suer57, no offence, but THAT’S SO GROSS!!! My boy is ready to have his "staples" removed in two days!!!!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaay! I am elated…I just cannot wait… It means that I don’t have to worry about him licking the boo boo, which would lead to him HAVING to wear the e-collar. I think my boy is in enough pain than to have to add that darned collar to the mix…in his crated lifestyle, right now. Poor baby… Anyhow, that’s the "skinny"… Bye for now! xoxoxo

Linda

Gonty: It’s awsome your boy made it through the surgery. My Precious Suzy, "Ebony Susan Riley actually needs surgery on her knee, but every vet we’ve taken her to says, Eb has to lose weight or the surgery will do her absolutely no good.

Sometimes her leg hurts so bad at night she cries and I have to wake her up to give her a rymadil. I hate it and wish I could just ask the vets to do the surgery cuz Ebs no matter it seems just either stays the same or packs on 1 or 2 lbs.

I don’t leave any extra food out at all to keep her weight cotrolled, not to mention training.
    Poor baby. She’s such a sweet 116 lb lab.

Deborah

Sage, I’m really sorry, but if you reaally wanted your dog to have the surgery you would have put him on a diet eons ago. And also, it’s never ok to let your dog get FAT in the first place. Your dog doesn’t feed himself…so YOU did this to him. I don’t doubt your love for him, but if you really love him STOP LETTING HIM BE FAT, dear. I hope he does one day get the surgery…and that you can find it in your heart to have him lose weight.

Linda

there is no let to it. We’ve called her out for daily exercise, but then after a short span, and she can only do so much too, I do understand she runs straight for her kennel, and sleeps.

I’ve thought about physical therapy sessions in unison with diet, so please do try to understand

I never let, and I never CHOSE TO LET
    Ebby Be OVERWEIGHT!

Deborah

I’m sorry if I upset you Sage. I like you very much. I understand that you cannot exercise this dog due to her knee problem. I absolutely wouldn’t. I wouldn’t, however, be feeding her to the point that she’s not losing weight. I hope you understand that. She’s fat because of you. The good news is that you can change that, but you will have to WANT to…

Linda

No. SHe is not Fat because of me.

I DO NOT OVERFEED HER!!!

She gets 2 regular, and only 2 cups of dog food per day. 1 in the morning and one in the evening.

The problem however, is that sometimes, she when the other animals are fed at the same time she is and they don’t eat it, if I don’t catch it in time she eats that portion, but it rarely happens because I do collect it shortly after she finished her bowl because by then they’ve had time to eat.

So no. I didn’t and cannot be responsible for making her fat. I don’t even let her have people food, except, and I mean only except in rare instances.

I think it’s called same as it is in Obese people, DNA!!!

So no, I would and never could blame an owner for their dog being fat.

That is not correct thinking.

I’m not mad. I just want your misconceptions cleared up. If you apply what you just said to me to people you not only would offend and hurt the feelings of many obese people, but also be arguing with what science has been proving.

Ebby is a big dog, always will be, if I could slim her up, convince her to be slim and sturdy at just the right size she should be to be healthy I would ensure she was theree. So sadly this is a fight I’m losing, but yet my hopes haven’t been dashed completey against the walls.
    but please do a little more research on obese: You will find the same rules apply to the cainine as they do the humansany tips on how to convince her to play, and for longer stretches without exhausting her would be he

Linda

tips to help excersise Ebby will be helpful and appriciated.

Mikki

I’ve never seen a dog that won’t lose weight when food is restricted. 2 cups of food is A LOT for a sedentary dog. What kind of food do you feed her??? Try a restricted calorie diet and feed 1/2 of the amount that is reccommended for her GOAL weight. So, if the bag says feed 1 1/2 cups a day for an 80# dog – feed her 3/4 of a cup a day. You need to cut a dogs maintenance calories in half in order to make them lose weight. You also have to figure ANY treats into this weight loss regimine. 4 of the smallest Eukanuba weight loss biscuits equals 1/4 cup of food!!!! One great idea for weight loss is to feed canned green beans as a supplement to their diet. The dogs think they are getting something really special, there are no calories in them and the dogs usually like them. We have clients who buy them by the case and they work wonderfully for the dogs to lose weight but not feel hungry. You could feed a can a day if you wanted.
    As for exercise – with her weight and joint issues I’d say swimming her as much as possible would be ideal! Good luck.

Susan

The vet is being unrealistic. He can’t exercise when he is in pain. The only choice is to cut his food back. But I would ask the vet if there is possibly other reasons for the weight, maybe he’s retaining water, or prediabetic, or older and has slower metabolism. It is rare for animals to be overweight without some reason, either disease, lack of exercise, too much food, or last of all genes. I did some googling and found this, it looks helpful. But doctor needs to be involved too:
    http://www.petplace.com/dogs/are-some-dogs-obese/page1.aspx

Mikki

Just read Suer’s post and realized I’d forgotten to mention having Ebony tested for hypothyroidism. A hypothyroid dog has a terrible time losing weight even with very little food. The treatment is daily supplementation with thyroxine and it’s very inexpensive. Does she have bad skin or bad ears? Those 2 problems are also very indicative of hypothyroidism….

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.