PETA

This topic contains 44 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Donna 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author

A

As stated before by other, I am also against cruelty to animals but am an avid meat lover. For those who think hunting is wrong please consider a few things: Humans were hunter-gathers before they were farmers. Meat was considered a delicacy to have long ago and the bones of deer, birds, etc are a significant to archeological digs.
    Also, before you say shooting a deer or elk is wrong, what species is allowed to breed uncontrollably? Humans. We have many diseases that threaten our lives. By controlling a wild animals population with hunting, and not just suddenly hitting it on the highway, we help control the possibility of them developing an illness that could completely wipe them out.
    Let’s not forget other predators. Humans aren’t the only ones who eat a deer. There are bears, wolves, mountain lions, and wolverines who, when their food runs out, will migrate to the cities and begin preying on humans without mercy. By hunting, we indirectly help control their population.
    If PETA really wanted to do some good, they should help animal shelters, teach people that a pet is a responsibility and not a toy, help spay and neuter pets to prevent over population and the dumping of animals in the woods, on the side of the road, etc. (an act that I feel is a step towards preventing animal cruelty by preventing more but should be done with humans as well.) To totally isolate humans from animals is an extreme and idiotic concept. Pets give love unconditionally if you love them back and really the thought of living without them is a lonely, empty existence.

Deidra

I can’t say that I fully do or do not support PETA. They have SOME good causes, but some are rediculous. I don’t agree with animals being tested for human cures. Our biology isn’t exactly the same, so how could an animal provide the answers for how the human body will or will not react?! I also do not feel that it’s WRONG to hunt, but I do believe that if one is going to hunt, they should be eating whatever they are hunting. No one should hunt just for fun, or even for profit. Man was indeed hunter/gatherers back in the day. They were the ones who had to provide for the family. The women were nurturers – caring for the children and the home. But times have changed. My dad was a big hunter for as far back as I can remember. Not so much anymore, as he’s getting older, but I really enjoy eating venicin. I enjoy porkchops, quail and hamburgers along with many other varieties of meat. Be it hunting in a forest or fishing in the ocean, hunting for food is the same across the board. It’s a natural way of life. Let’s all reflect on the Food Chain here. But let’s be honest… there is a vast difference between hunting and eating your kill, than being cruel to animals just because you can. No one should torture any animal. If you shoot an animal and it didn’t die the first time, finish it off… there’s NO NEED to make it suffer. There’s nothing cute in that and if someone gets their kicks from watching an animal suffer, they are sick individuals and have NO HEART OR SOUL worth anything. God created all things and he created a pecking order for us all to survive and follow. It’s the people who are greedy that go off killing animals for their furs, tusks, etc. just to make a buck. It’s greedy people that promote dog and rooster fighting. It’s those greedy people that need to be treated in the same manner they are treating animals. I wonder how they might feel about it then?!?! Like I said – PETA has some wonderful causes, but they don’t need to generalize everyone into the same category just because some of us don’t agree with EVERYTHING they want to preach about.

Alexa

PETA does good work, but they are a bit extreme. I joined the PETA2 street team a few years ago when I was flirting with veganism. Its marketed towards teens. They send you a package of stuff to pass out like flyer, stickers and such. A lot of the stuff was unreliable facts and gorey pictures hoping to shock people into not eating meat. The worst thing in the package was a dvd. It was just interviews of emo, indie, rock stars aying why they don’t eat meat, and spouting statistics they obliously didn’t reaserch themselves, interspersed with footage of animal slaughter houses and fur farms, all with catch rock anthems in the background. This is propagnda if I’ve ever seen it. Most teens don’t think to fact check what’s said. And frankly, a lot of kids will see a rock star doing something and follow suit.

Lynnette

I think it’s a great organization to support, along with the ASPCA and Humane Society. Animals have just as much right to live on this earth as humans, if not more so, because many humans are cruel. Animals are innocent, only acting on natural instincts needed to defend themselves and feed themselves. Nature in the wild is sad in that way, but I also believe humans are meant to eat animals. I tried being a vegetarian for 6 months, being creative and food combining to obtain all the essential aminos… but then I craved and ate meat again, and my immune system went up and I was much stronger again. I’m THE biggest animal lover, in fact I LIVE for animals, but unfortunately I believe, as some animals in the wild eat each other, us humans need some meat to survive also. But that’s just my opinion, and I respect others beliefs. If I could, I would be a vegetarian, but my body just won’t allow it. …I’m just waiting for the laws to be mandatory to use painless and humane ways of "slaughtering", because it really pains me. And even hunting for food and to prevent overpopulation, it should be done with tranquilizer guns, or other forms of painless methods. Of course the ultimate would be never to do either of these things, but I understand it is necessary. I do want to enforce stricter laws when purchasing pets, because it is too easy to buy pets, and the owners aren’t told how to care for them properly, and the animals are the ones who suffer. And, it should be the law to register every pet with its owner, with an ongoing tri-monthly check up on the pet and its owner, just to keep abuse and neglect under check. Neighbors need to make themselves aware of how their neighbors are handling their pets, and inform the ASPCA if there is abuse, because we need to be their voices.

Lynnette

It sounds like you take pleasure in killing, I’m sure if animals could shoot a gun, they would think the same about you!

Deidra

Alexa Lyn, who are you referring to with your last post?

Lynnette

To: Crimson Moon
    Sorry, I was referring to a comment first made by the hunter. He said how he loves eating animals, and that for him PETA stands for "People, Eating Tasty Animals". But I actually regret I made that tasteless comment, it wasn’t worth replying to, so please just dismiss it. BUT, imagine his panic, if we told him we needed to throw him to the bears so they could eat, or because we need to control human population. I know we need to eat and control animal population, but the difference is animals don’t have a choice. …The guy makes that sinister remark (on page 1) , and then makes other comments on how he’s such a good guy and caring towards animals. Whatever. Like I said, I shouldn’t have even replied to it.

Animals

Dream Hunter, you obviously boast your name, and you don’t fool me when you say you do pet rescues; your way of a pet rescue is shooting them to put them out of their misery. Any other person would have drove the 20 minutes to the vets office in hopes they could save the animal, and give it a second chance to life. Even if money was an issue, I’m sure the vet would help it. You sound very gun happy to me, maybe even a little bit obsessed about death- what are you doing watching PETA videos, and browzing animal sites? How did you find this site? This site is about pets, and all your picture shows are your two hunting dogs. Maybe your whole life growing up was hunting, but maybe you need to expand your mind a little, just reverse the situation. If you were hit by a car, would you want someone to drive you to the hospital or them to shoot you in the head?

Animals

Hi DumplinsMommy, I sent DreamHunter the following msg:
    Dream Hunter, you obviously boast your name, and you don’t fool me when you say you do pet rescues; your way of a pet rescue is shooting them to put them out of their misery. Any other person would have drove the 20 minutes to the vets office in hopes they could save the animal, and give it a second chance to life. Even if money was an issue, I’m sure the vet would help it. You sound very gun happy to me, maybe even a little bit obsessed about death- what are you doing watching PETA videos, and browzing animal sites? How did you find this site? This site is about pets, and all your picture shows are your two hunting dogs. Maybe your whole life growing up was hunting, but maybe you need to expand your mind a little, just reverse the situation. If you were hit by a car, would you want someone to drive you to the hospital or them to shoot you in the head?
    We would all think he’s a good person, but after his first sinister remark about, how he thinks PETA stands for "People Eating Tasty Animals", then tries to show how he’s such a "good person" by shooting animals so freely, to put them out of their misery, he doesn’t fool me. Just like he says, "he doesn’t waste game", that means his priority is selfish- to eat it!

QT

animals rule-
    You’re totally right about dreamhunter, where is he where he comes across all these animals that are in pain, and he’s carrying a gun on him at all times? His putting animals out of misery stories probably stemmed from him shooting animals that didn’t kill them right away, then he shot it so it didn’t suffer. When you are a hunter, you automatically are desensitized from killing, as they can kill, clean it, prepare it and eat it. My dad used to hunt, but now he has no interest, he lost all interest in taking lives away.

Deidra

I think this topic may be getting out of hand. For those that are 100% for PETA, that’s great. It’s also THEIR opinion. For those that are not 100% for PETA, okay! It’s also THEIR opinion. We each have a right to our own opinions and it’s our responsibility to live our lives in a non-judgmental manner. And yes, I know that is always much easier said than done, but all in all, in the end, we WILL be judged for our choices/actions.
    To each’s own…. I support hunters IF they are hunting in the ways it is designed. We have hunting seasons solely to control the population of certain animals. There are specific animals that can be hunted during specific times of the year. If you are going to hunt, eat what you kill. It’s not supposed to be a game… it’s supposed to be a method of survival that goes back to ancient times that are irrelevent today. I do not support poachers and animal fighters. You people are greedy monsters that need to be put into that same scenario and see how well you come out. Stop trying to have control… you are not cool. For people who come across hurt, domestic animals… take them to the vet and drop them off. The vet who is experienced enough to determine the fate and well being of such animals will know what to do with the animal. I can’t imagine there being too many people out there that come across hurt, wild animals and therefore feel the need to put them to rest because they are suffering. Unless I’ve been living under a rock, I just don’t see that as being something all too common. However, in the event I were in that position, I would have to then make a determination as to what to do as one couldn’t exactly put a wild animal into the car and take them to the vet… however, there are agencies that you can call, like the police who will call animal control and they will come make that determination. All things in life will eventually come to an end. It’s part of life, but there’s a big difference between nature taking it’s course and one playing God.
    As I said before… there are things that I’m supportive of for/with PETA, but there are things I disagree with. I have a right to my own opinion, as does everyone else. And as long as no one is forcing their own opinion onto anyone else, we should all get along enough. This should be an objective topic, not a forceful one.

Animals

I hope people reading this, as well as "DreamHunter" learn from Crimson Moon’s comment, as he sums it up nicely. Being extreme on this topic is even too extreme for me, but sometimes it takes that to get your point across to one, and make them think.

QT

To end this subject on a high note, will dreamhunter consider changing his display name to maybe "DreamRescuer"? You’ll experience great reward if you’re able to save an animal’s life by bringing it the the vet’s or calling animal rescue.

Jan

Don’t be fooled. PETA is no animal lover. It’s a control issue. Like any extremist organization that needs to be carefully researched and monitored, PETA is an organization created by fascists. Their core belief is that an elitist , fascist government should control all aspects of life and death for both humans and animals. They believe that common people should not be allowed to have access to animals (without sanction by the government) and that the government should decide which animals to protect, to run wild and to exterminate.
    One of my college classmates bragged that she is a PETA member and how she was doing the world good by going into retail grocery stores and slashing open meat packages when no one was watching. As the semester progressed, she revealed a very troubled childhood and it seemed that PETA served her psychological need to express her rage. All you have to do is research the Nazis’ treatment of animals during World War II. Some animals of the same breed but under the control of different Nazi officers were given lavish care, like pampered pets, others were allowed to run wild and die of whatever befell them, and others were rounded up and exterminated. To find out what it was really like, read THE ZOOKEEPERS WIFE. After all, it was the Nazi government that decided which living beings were allowed to live or die. There was no compassion involved in the decisions. It was based on the whims of the powerful.
    No organization that is truly founded for the well being of animals is going to condone harm to animals or humans. Not all people’s bodies can tolerate a vegetarian/bean diet. Some of those people would actually suffer grave medical illnesses if forced to do so. I for one, personally do not like the idea sacrificing an living breathing animal that has feelings so I can eat it but my body has violent reactions to a pure vegetable/bean diet so out of necessity I eat a small amount of chicken or fish. To force such people to be vegetarian at the expense of their health and life is hypocritical. It actually reveals that is not about animals at all but rather about an agenda of control.

Emily

woofnmew- I’m glad that someone else realizes the truth about peta. I am an advocate against animal cruelty, a dog owner and a vegetarian. PETA claims to be for the rights of animals but when they do not live up to accomplishing anything they try to cover their tracks but killing the animals they could not find homes for. Do better research people, if you dig you will find that most of the media is full of bullshit. PETA’s euthanasia reports are pubic record if you look hard enough. In 2007 more than 90% of the animals they received were killed. Only 17 animals were adopted.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.