Animal Cops

Home Community People & Their Pets Animal Cops

This topic contains 98 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Barbara 13 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 99 total)
  • Author

Anna

Yeah I’m good with not seeing it. I don’t like dogs fighting no matter what breed they are.

Sue

annamarie, honestly I am not disagreeing with you on this one. I said pages back that I don’t agree with the hand or most of the testing, especially right after they come in. My point is that for the pits there is a LOT to consider before one can be adopted out. Are there BSL’s in place where the adopters live? Will their homeowners insurance allow a pit (or a couple other breeds) Are they familiar enough with the breed to be able to handle it. There are several breeds in that catagory. I am saying they are extremely difficult to place & 85% of them are not safe to be out in the public anyway. Dogs that have been fought or appear to have been fought – automatic euth – cannot be placed. I realize the dog in question was a boxer & since I didn’t see it, I can’t second guess what may have happened. Often difficult decisions must be made very quickly if there are 20 more standing at the door waiting to come in.

Linda

I quite frankly no matter what anybody’s opinon is I simply would not want to be the judge and jury, and the doer of the deed to "play politics, or God, when it comes to the life of a pet.

Every life is precious. ……..

But, there are always the but’s that get in the way.

Christie

Suebgone..NO DOG HAS LOCKING JAW!! there is no locking mechanism in there look at a few skull and tell me where it is! they were bred down from mastiff types and jack types…jack and rats have just as strong a jaw in relation to their size as a pitty…the reason pitty are more dangerous is becuase of their size. the hold can be broken just like any other dog… and yes in some cases i belive that personality is genitic..but that doesn’t mean that all of them are bad…look at my other posts on the other thread…and I don’t know where you got your info, but 85% of pit are the good one…here we have a high population of pits and pit mixes…I have yet to meet a truly mean one and yes I was bit in the face by a pit in my grooming salon..my fault he didn’t like people right in his face or his nails clipped and I accidentally got to close to his nose while clipping his nails.. and guess what? No blood no bruise it was an accident. while I will not deny that there are problem dogs out there and idiots who do breed them for bad temperments that is NOT the breeds fault in general. while I may respect you intelligence and experience…I think the years you spent working as an ACO has colored you opinion of this breed. for every one that bite or is taught to be mean there are dozens more who are wonderfull loving dogs who are wrongfully dumped in with the rest.

Anna

Ah the infamous fear biting, It took me a long time in grooming school to learn the difference between fear biting and playing for keeps. Finally one day I was watching my teacher try and cut nails on this little maltese and she was biting for keeps, so I told my teacher to let me do it, I did it, I never pulled away from her and I even walked away bleeding but you know I felt great because I realized it really wasn’t that bad. As for this boxer I still say it was wrong to put him down because he was protecting his food, again he warned a good 2 times he was going to snap at the hand and who sticks their hands in a dogs mouth while they eat, no one that’s who.

Danny
    Participant

Yep I agree, Boxer should still be with us…

Anna

Thanks Rotti I’m glad someone else agreed. He looked like such a good boy, it’s sucks that they did that to him.

Danny
    Participant

I was watching over a lose stray female Rottweiler end of Feb. She was a beautiful dog, approx one year old. I didn?t want her to get run over, she was next to a busy street and right in front of my house. So I called the Humane Society. While waiting she got restless. I went to my house got some food to entice her to stay. In the process of feeding her tooth caught my finger as she closed her mouth on the food. Finally the Humane Society arrived. I made a huge mistake although you?d think it wasn?t. I reported to the officer that the dogs tooth cut my finger (ON ACCIDENT). The officer told me I would need to call it in. I did so concerned that maybe the dog never had shots being a stray and all. I weighed on the safe side and requested the dog be quarantined. I explained over and over the story, that the dogs tooth cut my finger but no intential effort to bite.
    Two weeks later I received a notice in the mail stating good news the dog was fine, "we are pleased to inform you that this animal has been examined, found normal and released from quarantine". BS!
    That was it, no description of what happened after being released so I called wanting/hoping to find out the dog found its owner. Instead the officer I spoke with came back to the phone and told me the dog was put to sleep!
    This dog was not vicious, was not mean, yes she was a tiny bit nervous but nothing out of the ordinary. I have to live with the fact that I killed her now. I can?t do a thing about it either!

Anna

Well I don’t want to make you feel bad here but you dropped the ball telling them that, if it was no big deal you shouldn’t have said anything.

Danny
    Participant

No, the potential to get rabies was there…cant play around with that! Open cut, saliva, hello? But for those who want to ramble on about "well then I shouldnt have been messing anyway" I disagree as well, I had an obligation and responsabilty to deal with the dog.
    Everything I did was acceptable, the problem was at the other end …But let this be a word of warning, when dealing with a cold blooded outfit that kills for biting a boxer etc biting fake hand. We are dealing with professional ingnorance within. After posting that message a couple of dogs ran buy at same spot. I made no call…
    Two weeks earlier my female rott scaled the fence, two guys in a big fuel truck pulled over read the phone number on her tag and I got my dog back. Unfortunaltly no colar so no tag on this dog. Basically I gave the humane society an excuse to destroy a dog on the black list and thus save them money waiting to adopt her out.

Danny
    Participant

Pardon the scrambled words in last post! Should have read "that kills a boxer biting a fake hand while eating"!

Anna

Well what did you think would happen if you said it scratched you with her tooth, you could have easily went to your doctor or something and told them what happened and they would’ve checked the dog for rabies anyway. It seems like they just want an excuse to put a dog down and in this case you could’ve been it, I’m not saying it’s your fault but if you kept telling them about it maybe they thought you were worried about it being aggressive, In any case I just wouldn’t have said anything unless it was an actual bite but I give you credit for trying to keep her away from traffic.

garima

AnnaMarie, what if went around being a rabid man? I honetly think blaming people in this situation does no good to anyone, becasue sadly we are unable to bring the dog back.

Anna

People are the problem, and I just heard about a case where a man was bitten by something and didn’t show signs of rabies until it was too late so god only knows what they did with him since he was going insane and unfortunately getting ready to die. People ARE looking for an excuse to put a dog to sleep, if this dog wasn’t rabid and didn’t look aggressive and they even lied and said she’d been adopted out then saying "oh she accidently scratched me with her tooth" was probably enough to say "ok she’s dangerous" they probably didn’t believe that it was a little accidental scratch.

Danny
    Participant

If the dog bite me I would have said "the dog bite me". No one has a right to put words in my mouth twist and invent irrelevent scenarios then add them to the story I reported! What if I would have said it bit me and then they adopted it out? It would have been just as ludicris! Its really actually very simply why make it difficult?
    In the end its not about me, the dog is dead I will live the dog is ashes somewhere! And it is dead because of the people who work at this shelter doing what your doing "insinuating" rather then listening/hearing/reading what is/was being said!
    The topic is no different then the boxer being teased and provoked with the fake hand. This dog should not have been destroyed. Can you imagine sitting on the side of the road with that boxer for 30 or more minutes like I did this dog, and saw for yourself how good the dog was then find out they teased it with a fake hand then killed it. You would not have expected them to kill that animal had you called, I was no diff! I should have been comfortable stating the story, it was the factual truth! How much more would you be pist. That is where I am. I am a personnel witness of which they never called back to get my opinion. Just murdered her instead. As far as making me feel bad, Im smarter then that. I know I didnt kill the dog. But in doing what was right, while putting my health in danger I would do it again minus calling the shelter. I will take the dog in next time and search for the owner myself.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 99 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.