Smoking and Pets

Home Community People & Their Pets Smoking and Pets

This topic contains 44 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Lynda 13 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Susan

What is the brand name?

Anna

It’s uninary SO and it’s from royal canin (i think that’s what it’s called) they have dry and wet.

James

We have a cat in the house but we don’t smoke in the house. We have always went outside to smoke.

I have read somewhere that the smoke will actually adhear to the pet’s coat and then will be licked off as the animal grooms itself and ingested. I don’t know if that is true but it does make sense.

Even though I smoke I do believe that second hand smoke does cause problems for those people and animals that are in contact with it.

Elizabeth

I’m glad someone brought up nutrition! I grew up in a very "country" family who often fed our dogs table scraps covered in gravy. We had several dogs die basically from obesity (collapsed trachea, heart disease) and a couple more who just weren’t as healthy as they should have been. Bad diets kill FAR too many pets, and reduce the quality of life for even more. It’s sad that when I was little, I didn’t know dogs lived past 7 or 8 years old…

Lynda

I use to smoke in my house YEARS ago, then I said NO MORE.
    Smoking, which to your animals is *second hand* smoke, is THE worst. IF you LOVE your animals, PLEASE move your *Butts* outside (no pun intended). Your house will smell so much cleaner, and your pets will live so much longer.
    Smoking is just plain DEADLY to humans and animals. I still smoke, unfortunately, but NEVER around animals or children.

Tabitha

I WOULD NEVER SMOKE!!!!! OF COURSE I WOULD NEVER EVER SMOKE AROUND PETS!!! I DON"T SMOKE IN THE BARN!!! I DON"T SMOKE AT ALL!!! If you people smoke, JUST STOP!!! You know its bad for you!!! AND SMOKING AROUND PETS!!! IT IS REALLY BAD FOR YOU TO SMOKE AROUND ANIMALS!!! Just STOP SMOKING!!! WHAT IS GOOD ABOUT IT??? I HAVE THE ANSWER TO THAT: THERE IS NOTHING IN THE SOLAR SYSTEM IN THE WHOLE GALAXY THERE IS NOTHING GOOD ABOUT SMOKING!!! I’m really sorry I am being sooo rude… its just I would ever ever smoke.I don’t think anybody should smoke.You wanted to know the truth about what I think!!!

Tabitha

I am truly sorry AnnaMarie.Its just smoking isn’t a good thing.Its wrong.Some people think you look cool when you smoke but it doesn’t! I just wish people would know that smoking is wrong.

scott

Exposure to second-hand smoke

Involuntary exposure to second-hand smoke results from non-smokers breathing air containing second-hand smoke. Involuntary smoking involves inhaling carcinogens, as well as other toxic components, that are present in both mainstream and sidestream smoke. Carcinogens that occur in second-hand smoke include benzene, 1,3-butadiene, benzo[a]pyrene, 4-(methylnitrosamino)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanone and many others (IARC Monograph, Volume 83. Tobacco Smoke and Involuntary Smoking. 2002).

Elizabeth

I have a question about vbnb-Tabitha, and I am honestly not meaning to be rude at all, but isn’t it a forum rule that you must be 16 years or older? I think it’s cool when kids post questions they have, but, um…

steph

Hi I am joining in on this conversation. I am a smoker and my hubby owns a hvac co. and specializes in mold remediation and air purification. We have tested our house and other customers. Just to let you know, the smoke from one cig lingers in your house for days up to a week and is just as bad as if you were blowing smoke in a child or animals face. Nothing happens right away but is a long term problem to everyone in the home. Once I found this out My husband and I only smoke outside. We also have two children. I am embarrased to even smoke around them because I know how bad it is for you/me. No human is perfect. We all know that it is bad for us so we should just do our best to make sure others around us don’t suffer because of our choices. No excuses, just take personal responsability for our actions. That is what one can do to not abuse our freedoms. This is one thing missing in our world. Taking responsability for ourselves and others. Helping animals is part of this, environment, family oh sorry I have gone on a tangent hehehe
    freedom liberty and all good night

Amanda

We smoked inside our old apartment. When we moved it was gross. We got our dog and he can’t tell me verbally that he doesn’t want to smoke. I made us all start smoking outside. We have a dog, 2 cats and an iguana. It keeps the air inside the home clean.

Kathleen

I don’t understand why it’s even a question. Is it hard to walk outside to smoke? Come on. (Replying a little late).

Jasmine

I will not smoke inside because I own two rats. They have very sensitive respiratory systems and flues and pneumonia can be caught easily and is fatal to them. Not that you can get those from smoking but it sure doesn’t help. Sometimes my kitty will come out and sit on my lap when I am outside smoking but I blow the smoke away from him and don’t really encourage that kind of behavior. I only smoke around other people’s animals (like in their house) if I am given permission like at my boyfriend’s grandma’s house. I never ask I go outside and if she invites me back in and says I can smoke inside then I will.

christine

i think when you choose to smoke you can only choose for you and its somewhat unfair to effect others especially ones that cant speak up for themselves. I am a smoker and i smoke outside. Its not fun at times when the weather is bad but i figure if i dont like it i can quit. Cigarette smoke will affect anything that breathes. Not to mention your house smells alot fresher when you smoke outside.

Lynda

This is a NO-BRAINER.
    When people smoke in their home with their pets there, the pet will inhale the secondary smoke and of course THIS will affect them and their health. Animals are extremely sensitive to scents & odors, and anything like fragrances, sprays, SMOKE, toxic cleaning products, plug-in fragrance (one of THE worst in terms of toxic inhalants) will certainly affect their health.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.