how often can a rabbit breed

Home Community Rabbits how often can a rabbit breed

This topic contains 74 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Chrissy 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)
  • Author

lucy

no he is not fixed but iam afriad to put them back together becuase he hurt her she is fine now but he really scared her and made her cry. i think i might be done i will try doing what you said but if they fight then iam done. thank you i will let you know lucy

Susan

Were you trying to have another litter of babies? If you were I think you are supose to bring her to his house instead of him to her house so there’s less fighting. But I thought you didn’t want any more babies. If you get him fixed then wait a month before putting them back he would probably fight less.

lucy

the only reason i want another litter is that i had about five people who wanted the baby one i had. i just gave away the baby i had to a family for an easter present. there little girl wanted a rabbit. i had the other people wanting the rabbit but they coun’t take care of it at the time they had no cage so i told them i would try to get her to have another litter so when they were ready then i would have the rabbits if she breed but i just don’t know what iam going to do i don’t want my mom rabbit getting hurt again it was really not nice of the dad to do that. if they can’t get along then i will be giving away the dad. the dad did manage to get on her and do some buisness right before he got mean but i don’t know how long they take to do it so she might be pregnant but it was today that this happen and the dad was on her for about less than one minute twice then i pulled him out after the attack. and he has not been back to her since. so he got her twice acutally. lucy

Susan

I don’t know, I think he is supose to sort of faint afterward. I guess you’ll just have to wait and see what happens.

lucy

well ok thank you i will let you know what i decide lucy

lucy

hi iam back well i have some questions. first my rabbit had another litter there were three but they all died. i didn’t think she was pregnant. well last night i moticed that she was putting fur all over so i put in the box and by morning she had three but they were all dead. I was wondering why she is having dead litters. I really don’t understand. she had a litter of six back in january25 and they were all dead. then she had another one in febuary 24th two babies one survived and she did really good and was healthy and is great. then may 8th last night she had another litter three of them all dead when i got up today. they all looke really good nothing wrong with them but they were dead. so why does she keep having dead babies. well let me know thanks lucy

Rebecca

You are breeding her too quickly back to back poor girl. If she had healthy babies on feb 24th they would have been weaned 6 weeks later roughly so let’s say that would be early april so she was bred as soon as the babies were weaned, not even left mum, this could be the cause, all the stress on her body. Often the first 3 litters can be born dead, but as she had some live on her second litter she should now be able to carry live babies all the way. Also it could be the babies are too big for her, do you repeatedly breed her with the male at least 3 times? This ensures bigger litters, so smaller babies and so easier labour. Sorry having a good but it does sound like she needs a break from breeding, now for say 2 months before she is bred again and i wish you better luck then.

lucy

ok that is wierd why so the fisrt three litters born dead. i don’t know what you are talking about when you are talking about bredding three times. i found another babie that i missed in the box but it was dead also. she has only had the one alive i guess it was strong willed. well there will not be any bredding at all for a while becuase the the male in with her now dosen’t want anything to do with that. i think he is too young but he is a year old but they just lay together. nothing else the father of the other three litters was on her five months after i put them together. the littler last night was the male i told you about that attacked her while doing that and she got pregnant. well he is now gone and i can’t afford another cage so i might get rid of the one rabbit but i can’t tell if it is male or female the people it can from said it was a male but they told me that the last one was a female and they were wrong. anyway she will be getting a break now. like i said the male in there now dosen’t want her like that. well thank you for your help you have been great. the pet stores around just don’t know much of anything i have asked them about rabbits and they tell me that they don’t know. well thank you lucy

Rebecca

Sorry the breeding 3 times, i mean they must actually mate at least 3 times in one day, or however long you keep them together to ensure a bigger litter. Sorry if i did seem horrid about over breeding, you obviously care. Maybe there’s a problem with the dad that she is breeding with, a genetic problem maybe? There are good sites on the net with pics for sexing rabbits properly, the people you got her from don’t sound good!

lucy

THE PEOPLE I GOT HIM FROM HAD OVER 20 RABBITS AND THEY JUST KEEP GIVING ME ONE BY ONE AND WANT ME TO KEEP BUYING THEM. AFTER I GET THE RABBITS THEY DON’T EAT FOR ABOUT A DAY THAT COULD BE JUST THE AJUSTMENT BUT THEY KEEP TELLING ME THAT THEY ARE ALLERGIC OR SOMEONE IN THE HOUSE IS ALLERGIC IT JUST SEEMS FISHY. WELL I HAVE ALSO GOTTEN GUINIE PIGS FROM THEM AND DOGS. THEY SEEM TO HAVE A BIG SOURCE OF ANIMALS. I JUST GOT ANOTHER RABBIT FROM THEN YESTURDAY THAT I FOUND A HOME FOR AND LAST WEEK THEY GAVE ME ANOTHER ONE. I DO UNDERSTAND THE BREEDING TO SOON THING IAM NOT GOING TO BREED HER THE LAST ONE WAS NOT PLANNED BREEDING IT JUST HAPPEN WHEN I WENT OUT OF THE ROOM. WELL THANK YOUR HELP. DOES IT HAPPEN OFTEN THAT THE FIRST THREE LITTERS ARE NO GOOD. THE BABIES DON’T SEEM THAT BIG BUT I DON’T KNOW ABOUT HOW BIG THEY SHOULD BE AND HER FISRT LITTER WAS 6 BABIES , THEN THE SECOND WAS 2 AND THE LAST WAS 4 ONLY ONE SURVIVE OUT OF ALL THOSE. SO IF I WERE TO BREED HER AT THE END OF SUMMER SO YOU THINK THAT THE BABIES WOULD SURVIVE WITH A DIFFERENT FATHER OR SHOULD I JUST GIVE UP. I WANTED A RABBIT FOR MY CHILDREN BUT IT DOSEN’T SEEM THAT SHE WILL HAVE ANY THAT ARE ALIVE. THE ONE THAT DID SURVIVE WAS GIVING AWAY TO SOMEONE THAT I PROMISED TO GIVE ONE TO AND IT IS DOING REALLY GREAT. WELL TALK TO YOU LATER LUCY

Rebecca

It is quite common for the first 3 litters to be born dead, breeders i speak to will breed 3 litters before they decide if they are good for breeding. I would leave it until the end of the summer and use a different dad, it’s worth a try. A couple more thoughts i had, firstly what breed is your rabbit? Netherland dwarves are very hard to breed and very often the babies are born dead. Secondly the father should never be bigger than the mother. Thirdly, they should both be the same breed, and lastly, it may just be an unhealthy rabbit as the people that give you these rabbits don’t sound to care. Did you get the mother from them too?

lucy

well both rabbits were french lops and they were the same size. i got the mother from a pet store at 6 weeks of age. they other one i got from them is smaller than the mother and also a french lop. she seems to be healthy she eats everthing the pellots and the lettuce romaine carrots and other greens. well i will wait until august or september and try one more time if it doesn’t work then that will be the end of it. thanks lucy

Susan

There are other ways to get a rabbit for the kids than having your own litter. Your local animal shelter probably has lots of rabbits for adoption. If you want a baby it only lasts 3 or 4 months, then they are old enough to be parents themselves. Let them play with the rabbit you already have.

Daniellle

It amazes me the amount of careless rabbit owners, who have got pets and not read up about them first. But whats worse is that the people selling the animals know nothing about them either. I just hope that this forum has encouraged people to read up about pets before they get them.

Chrissy

Ya i certainly agrees with you. In fact, most of the pet shop owners do not know or have in depth knowledge of the pets in their shop. All they know is to push sales and asking you to buy everything. As such, make sure you always read up and research about the pet you want to keep first. Understand it better and make sure you are able to provide them what they need before you get them.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.