how often can a rabbit breed

Home Community Rabbits how often can a rabbit breed

This topic contains 74 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Chrissy 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)
  • Author

wikkee

actually..the girl bunny..shes always growl. ever since the first day we got her…she growls when I open the cage to give her food…then attack my hand when lowering the food to her bowl…and shes always been like that…however..much less since the boy bunny been introduced to her…so I dun think I can tell by the growling if shes pregnant..but when I told my bf’s sister that the girl might be pregnant..she was all smile and happy… -_-…
    OH!! and..yesterday..when I was checking the cleanliness of their..um..private parts..cos I like to clean their furs..when I checked my boy bunny..(his name is TUMBLE)..when I checked Tumble’s, his penis wasn’t fully there yet..but then..JUST NOW!! its fully there!! can see proper tip and stick thing!! …overnight..it did that..but I guess my people here wants babies..I’ll let you know next week. My bf’s sister is an Animal Science student at uni..I’ll ask her to bring the bunnies there to get check up.

lucy

i had a boy rabbit that always attacked me when i put in the food. i think it is her temperment that was the boy rabbit it was his temperment good luck with the mom.

Susan

Wikkee, the sex organs of rabbits are very small and mostly internal. That is why so many people guess wrong and then have unexpected litters. You probably checked his privates right when he was getting ready to mate so it was enlarged, if you look again tomorrow it will probably be small again.

lucy

hey sue i hope that is your name. i had a question about the baby. it is doing great but when so you take the nest out. the baby is starting to walk around and i found him out of the cage twice now walking around. it just opened his eyes today and trying to explore so when will it be ok to take out the nest box. also when will it eat the rabbit food.

Susan

Yes, I’m Sue. My babies eyes opened at 11 days also. It was more like 2 weeks when they all came out of the nest to explore. Your baby might start nibbling on hay just to copy mom, but it will be a while I think before they eat it as a meal. As long as your rabbits are in the house he probably doesn’t really need the box but the hay could stay there to keep him warm and comfy when he sleeps. I think I left my box in for 4 weeks but they were outside.

lucy

thank you he just is out exploring follwing mom iam so glad you are here to help me. is it ok to hold the baby to get it use you me. lucy

Susan

Yes, definately! I held mine from the first day. It’s even better now that he can see you. Becareful that he doesn’t jump out of your hand though. Always have your other hand slightly covering him incase he decides to jump. Isnt’ he just adorable now? They look like mini rabbits already, so cute.

lucy

i had another question i was wondering when the baby will start to eat rabbit food. it is eating the alfalfa hay it seems to like that but won’t eat the other food. also how long before they can seperate from mother. it dosen’t seem to like lettuce or carrotts lucy

Susan

They’re too little for pellets right now. Maybe in another week or two. They need to stay with mom for 8 weeks. They will probably be weaned at 6 weeks.

lucy

great thank you is it ok that he was eating the timothy hay. he got out of the nest and was eating it. lucy

Susan

Yes, I made my nest out of timothy hay. They started nibbling when they were still in it. They still need mostly milk though. Alfalfa is o.k. for babies, but when they are about 6 months it’s best to switch to timothy hay.

lucy

ok thank you for your help

Susan

Also, wait a couple months before you give them carrots or other vegetables. They are very sensitive to getting diarhea when they are young.

lucy

well he is out of the nest for the day now still in for night but when i put in lettuce and carrots he comes a running with his mom and eats them too. no matter what time i put them out. iam getting ready to take out the nest because he dosen’t stay in it now lucy

Jesica

Hello Sue- I have been looking up information on rabbits. We bought 2 lionhead rabbits from a local pet store that we frequent. The pet store owner would not sell the rabbits seperate, she said they were mates and would sell them as a pair only and would buy the babies back from us. She said she just didn\’t have time for them any more. So anyways we bought them and keep them in a hutch together. We had the doe and buck in the same cage up until I suspected that she was pregnant. When she started to pull her hair out I emmieditly took the buck out and put him in a seperate wire cage. The babies are 2 weeks old today. They have opened their eyes and are started to explore. She had 5. 3 black just like her and and buck. One blonde one and a light grey one. Should I change out the hay that they have been living in? The pet store owner told me to bring them up to her in 4 to six weeks but I say that you had said they need to stay with mom for 8 weeks. When will they learn to eat food. I don\’t know if it was on purpose or accident but the mom keeps taking her food bowl in the room the babies are so I just started puting it in there myself. When will they learn to drink from the water bottle? The mom hates me now. She doesnt even like my hand in her cage, she attacks it. Will she ever be nice again? The male is the same. acts mad I seperated them.
    And most importantly when can I put the male back with the mom, I don\’t want to breed them to often.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.