how often can a rabbit breed

Home Community Rabbits how often can a rabbit breed

This topic contains 74 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Chrissy 11 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)
  • Author

Susan

I think it cost around 130 if I remember right. It depends on where your at or if you have a animal shelter that can do it at a reduced price. When you try to put the rabbits back together again (after babies are grown and gone) it might be hard getting them to like each other again. Just take it slow, preferably get her fixed too.

lucy

thank you for your help you have been great i will write if i have more questions.

lucy

hey its lucy again my rabbit had two more one died before or shortly after birth but the other one made it. they were born today sometime and the dad is no longer in the hutch. just mom and baby is in the box with some fur that mom gave. i don’t know if mom will take care of it or not but how do i tell if she is at this point. please help

Susan

I never actually saw my rabbit nurse. They usually do it late at night or early morning. And usually just once or twice. During the day she stays away from the babies so in the wild predators don’t know where they are and eat them. Look at their tummies in the morning and they should be rounded. If they are sunken in she is not feeding them.

Susan

So you just have one baby then? You need to make sure it’s warm enough and completely covered with the fur. Usually it’s best if there are 3 or more babies so they can keep each other warm. But I think you said they are in the house so that helps.

lucy

yes ther is only one and she feed it last night sometime and it is doing ok but later today i just found the baby out of the nest. i know that the baby didn’t do it because there is over an inch nub around the nest and the baby was in the back of the nest. when i picked it up to put it back in the nest it moves all over my hand and it also tryied to walk. she just had them yesturday and the other baby died at birth. the mom is still pulling fur off of herand it is all over the nest. the mom also sits in the nest most of the time and when i feel the baby it is warm. i had to warm it up last night becuase i didn’t have the nest in there until i heard the new baby crying then i made a nest for her and then today she is adding fur to it so i hope that is good, but why would she bring the baby out of the nest. is she suppose to do that or do i put the baby back in. i put it back to keep it warm. well anyway so far so good. the mom is also cleaning the baby.

Susan

She sounds like a great mom! The baby hopped out of the nest by itself, they can already hop pretty high. You have to be real careful holding it also, it’s like a little jumping bean. When it feels the warmth of your hand it thinks the mom is there so it jumps up to grab a nipple. Also the baby could have been still latched onto the mom when the mom hopped out of the nest, then the baby let go after the mom was out, that happens frequently. You just have to keep checking to make sure it’s in the nest. Make your little wall taller. I used a piece of wood, maybe firewood for a wall. But at around 2 weeks it will be wanting to walk around anyway.

lucy

ok i will make it higher i didn’t think the baby could jump only being two days old i think it was attached to the mom because it wasn’t even near the edge. can handling the baby too often offend or turn off the mom from taking care or it. iam trying not to much but like when i put it back in the nest. i just want to do all the right things the baby is looking good and fat. so i know mom is finally feeding it. why did the other baby die. it looked like it was dead at birth i didn’t see it born but i saw her push out the placenta. how often can you breed mini lops. just in case i want to do it again to sell them later. she has had two litters the first litter she had 7 but they all died from the cold because they were outside and i didn’t find them for a while. the second litter was only two and one died at or before birth. i just don’t want to do it too much or harm her in anyway. i heard to many litters can kill the mom. lucy

Susan

Since rabbits have 2 uterus’s, actually one split into two rows, they can become pregnant even if they are already pregnant. It could be that some were premature and died. Sometimes the babies are too small or too big, or birth defects. Especially when a rabbit has both dwarf and large breed genes they can have problems. I had one rabbit that died but it looked like it had no bones, kind of jelly like with skin on it. Another one seemed so much larger than the living ones, maybe some kind of giant deformity?

lucy

ok both or them are the same breed. baby is doing really good mom is feeding it ans keeping it very warm. the nest has so much fur it is that it stays wram

wikkee

Hi, this is a really good discussion about breeding. I’d also have some questions about it. I have 2 bunnies, one is a female rex, probably almost 2 years old now and a male half loped half dwarf about 12-13 weeks old (cant be too sure cos one lady at pet shop told me he was 4 weeks, and another lady said 6 weeks when i bought him). Anyways, about a week ago he started humping her!! OH MY GOD!!! I knew this would happen, but he is half her size and I checked his penis and it wasn’t fully developed yet. 3 years ago I had a 5 months old buck but got him snipped straight away the first time a 5 weeks old girl bunny was added to the home so i dont know when they can actually breed. So anyways, I have my two now bunnies separated during the night and together during the day cos they seems to just sleep together and very inactive during the day. But as night falls the boy will start jumping all over her and she keeps growling at him and not letting him mount her and sometimes stamp her feet too. BUT sometimes he succeeds and he mounts her. and then I bang on the cage to stop them..then separate them.
    I dont think she is pregnant. But, is he old enough or developed enough to penetrate her and make babies? My boyfriend wants baby bunnies but I dont want it cos I’m the one cleanning after them and more babies would just mean more work for me. i WILL get him neutered but I asked around and they say 3 months is still too young..what should I do. they seem unhappy being separated.

Susan

She’s probably pregnant if she doesn’t want him to do it. 12 weeks is the age that they get pregnant. I had bought 2 females from the pet store that were 8 weeks old. When they were 16 weeks old they had a litter of babies! Yes one was actually a boy and they were only 12 week sold at time of mating. I never saw them mating probably because they are outside and like you said it happens at night. You can get them fixed at 8 weeks if you want. It’s just that they are pretty small for the vet to work on so they prefer waiting until they are older. Also make sure your vet knows which kind of anesthesia to use on rabbits, they can’t use the same as they do on dogs/cats. If you know when they first mated count 31 days and thats the due date. Good luck.

wikkee

oh dear…thankyou so much for your reply..
    I hope shes not pregnant..I’ll be very upset…and then very happy..but upset first..cos I’m the only one cleaning..if I leave it to my bf or his sister..it would be weeks before it gets cleaned..
    But..I guess its too early to tell if she’s pregnant right? because I was reading on the other sections about how to tell if the bunny is pregnant..to feel her uterus thingie..I did that..but..I felt nothing..its just all soft..
    or…is that behavior of her just growling at him when he’s all frisky means that she is pregnant…because then I will get him snipped asap.

lucy

my rabbit just had her second litter but when i felt her i couldn’t feel anything then two days later she had the baby but one was dead at birth and the other is ok. there is not much work to do the mother does most of it just cleaning out the nest. but make sure you put in the nest box so she can get ready about 28 days after the matting so she dosn’t scatter thr litter if she is pregnant becuase then you will have to warm the babies up if she has them all over the cage. also if she growling at him then she really dosen’t care for him to be put in there your better off keeping them seperate becuase if you don’t then they will eventually have babies

Susan

Yes they should be separated because if she isn’t pregnant now she will be soon. He needs to be fixed as soon as possible. A sign of being pregnant is growling a lot. Either at you or the other rabbit. Or she just could be upset with him for bugging her. It really is hard to tell sometimes if they are pregnant. You can feel the stomach like you said, after about 2-3 weeks, and also the grumpiness and less activity near the last half of pregnancy. If she starts stuffing hay in the corner of the cage that’s a sign of pregnancy (or false pregnancy too.)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 75 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.