my dog passed away getting his nails clipped.

Home Community Pet Loss Support my dog passed away getting his nails clipped.

This topic contains 693 replies, has 37 voices, and was last updated by  Max 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 694 total)
  • Author

Susan

I have mixed feelings about this. As a dog owner I would love to punish them some how. But from the shops point of view, they are supose to make the customer happy. All they probably thought about was this lady can’t clip her dogs nails because of his behaviour so we are being paid to do it and she won’t come back if we can’t get it done. So they did whatever it took to get them clipped. Probably thinking it’s just a behaviour problem and we just have to get it over with. They weren’t focussed on the dogs health, just the nails. What a tradgedy!! It definetly should be brought to the shop owners attention so they will tell their people to pay attention to a dog if it’s severely distressed. I know with my bunnies that I must be careful because the can die of a heartattack if you stress them too much. Covering their heads works great, it also works for my dog.

Christie

Suer57 … as a groomer my self..I get a lot of clients who simply do not want to cut their dogs nail for any reason..mostly becuase the nails are black and they are afraid of quickly the dog…Also we are not in school when to stop a procedure and the signs of sever stress…those groomers knew of the dogs medical condition and didn’t stop…that was the problem. And while you may not beleive it Loki wouldn’t allow me to cut his nails!! I could do anything else to him…just not that…so one on the girls at work did it for me. And yes I agree that the upper brass at petco needs to be involved. By the way I started my own webpage..still under construction at http://www.freewebs.com/honeyshaven

Anna

Even if your not properly trained (which you need to be!!) it all goes back to using common sense.

madeline

I truly know your pain today.Yesterday sun feb 25 I just had to put my Chico(dalm mix) down at 540pm.I got him feb of 2004 from a pound.He was severly beatin by his previous owners an my husband fell in love with him first time we saw him.He just stared at us no barking or jumping.Mind you I lost my Mya of 6 years Collie mix from a truck speeding an hit her.I wasn’t ready at all for another but my husband thought Chico could use a good home so we gave it to him.Aug of last year he seem to vomit alot,My vet said it allergys this went on till nov I had enough and went to a 24 emerg. vet.In 5 min they told me he had cancer (lymphoa lukeamia) so I decieded to do chemo.It did wonders he was begging again for food playing with his girlfriend Angel( boarder collie my dad bought for me 3 years this april)It was Chico again.2 weeks in to chemo we went down again his spleen enlarged then we had to take him off chem ,he started to bleed in the intestinal area so we took him off Last mon we put him back on the chemo but nothing was happening ,He also was fighting some sort of cold.I couldn’t handle the pain of not seeing him as a young enery goofy boy who was loving gentle an faithful 100% to me But his eyes an body language an how much his body dteriated to nothing I loved him to much to see him suffer anymore.I tried everything I could to prolong his life on my part but he didn’t seem ready to leave me.I feel guilty that what if….But I can’t change how i feel either

Anna

Omg maddy that sounds heartbreaking but I LOVE people like you who give rescue dogs a good home, even if it is for a little while at least they got to be happy and experience love from a human. You and your husband are truely remarkable and I hope you realize that.

Brenda

I am truly sorry for you Maddy. There are a lot of people on this site who know what you are going through and sympathize with you. When we take an animal into our hearts and souls we hope they will be with us for a long, long, time. Sometimes they are and sometimes they go way too soon. I have had animals all my life and it is a part of life in having animals. They are born, they are with us for awhile and they go away to the Rainbow Bridge if you will. We mourn and mourn and I guess God wouldn’t have it any other way. We still need to keep saving animals. I just rescued a GSD, a Rotty mix and now I am fostering a puppy. I am doing everything I can to keep them healthy. But sometimes terrible things happen to our animals through no fault of our own and we have to deal with it. Although the posters on this site I believe do everything medically possible for their pets, sometimes it is not enough. When that happens, I believe it is kinder to let an animal go then to watch them suffer as some people on this site have had to watch their beloved pets suffer. I know I will be in that situation some day and I will have to deal with it. Death is final and there is no turning back once you decide to put an animal down. But in the end, I think, your best friend will thank you for letting him/her go to be rid of all the pain and suffering. All of the posters on this site seem to be caring people whether they are 13 or 65. So let’s give everyone a break and (cont’d)

Brenda

be tolerent of each others opinions. I think the way most people feel is just love, love, love for their animals. If each and every one of us had to answer the question how important is your pet to you, we all would answer, my pet is my best friend, my companion and a member of my family. I know I would.

gary

I am sharing in your loss today as I mourn my beloved Sparks. I had to have him put to sleep yesterday at 4pm and I am barely functioning 🙁 He was an elegant English Cocker and an angel in disguise.16 1/2 years of friendship died yesterday but lives on in memories and pics as here I carried him in to Petco for his Birthday Sept ’06 ( cushings disease diagnosed in 2003 had weakened his legs considerably but not his joy at visiting all the goodies in the store)Its nice that all people missing their pets can have a kinship and share the burden of their loss. When the final moment came I told him that I’d see him on the other side and God I miss him now .

Click on any picture to see full size:

Christie

Not to bring up a sad subject again, but what has happened in this case. Does anyone know?

louise

ALERT- THIS IS A COMMON PROBLEM WITH BRACHEPHALIC BREED TOY DOGS- THEY NEED TO HAVE A VALIUM INJECTION BEFORE NAIL TRIMMING- FIND A VET WHO KNOWS WHAT HE IS DOING AND GET THEM TRIMMED THERE- STAY AWAY FROM GROOMERS WITH TOY DOGS – IF NEED BE HAVE GROOMER COME TO THE HOUSE FOR COAT BUT NO NAILS- I AM SORRY WAHT HAPPENED TO YOU-

Christie

that last post was BS..I am a dog grommer and we have plenty of poms come into the shop and we do not have a droplem..her dog had a medical condition that was ignored that was the problem..not the breed..don’t scare oter people with incomplete information. not every dog need to go to the vet for a nail trim

Susan

I think misstilly is talking about little dogs with pushed in faces. They usually have breathing problems. If they panic they may not be able to breath enough air and get lack of oxygen, whether or not they have asthma. Poms don’t have squished in noses.

anne

if that was me i would sue the groomers for compensation if they knew if the poor dog have something wrong with him cause its there fault not yours

marta

I am deeply sorry for your loss, I know what it feels like. I lost mine in the middle of Mar.,& I am still hurting. Do not blame yourself you just wanted to have his nails done, we never know what is going to happen. I will pray for you & your dog.

Michelle

You should sue them. My vet clips my dogs nails for free if I ask her. This place should never have taken on your dog if he had asthma and anxiety when he gets his nails clipped. If they had any brains in their head they would have told you to take him to your vet who has medications that would be able to sedate him enough to where he wouldn’t care that he was getting his nails cut. At least you can teach them a lesson. They did kill your dog you know. At least they will have to pay out the cost of the dog and maybe they will think twice about taking on a dog with asthma. I could see if they didn’t know that he had asthma. Then it would have been your responsibility to inform them of that. Since they had his medical records, they should never have done this. It is a Terrible shame.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 694 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.