"poor" people owning dogs

Home Community Dogs "poor" people owning dogs

This topic contains 235 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  addseo1119 9 years ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 236 total)
  • Author

Faye

you said it all better than I could. thumbs up to you.

Angie

I don’t believe that you should put a price on owning a dog. We are not the type of people to be able to just fork over $1000 but would if needed. Our dog got sick and we came up with the money. Easy to do if you have to all the sudden but we are defiantly not savers. I think you should be able to budget the necessities but its hard to know what could happen and be prepared for that. I own a car and could go down the road and blow the transmission any day. Do you think I could afford to replace that now? No but I still drive every day. Like I said cover the necessities and worry about the what ifs latter. Do you have time and love? I always see labs in the paper, free lab needs more time than we have to give. I always wonder what the people were thinking or lack there of. Do some research on the right pet for you, call the vet and get an estimate on a puppy program then save that money up and then think if you can afford the monthly cost for food & grooming. If so I think your fine. Pets don’t need the best of everything, they are not like people.

Angie

You could call Banfield if you have one in your area and see about rates.http://www.banfield.net/emergency-veterinary-care We take our pets and they are really good about not breaking the bank.

Valerie

The original post was posted in 2006, is no one using the forum these days. I agree that unless you are fully committed to caring for every need and those problems that might arise, it would be better not to take on the commitment. My husband and I are members of a rescue centre and the lack of money for thier dog is one of the main reasons dog and cats are surrendered.

jasmeen

i think it a bit stuped for them to buy a dog when they cant afford them. but if they where wealthy when they got the dog and money started to get tight later then i would talk about them as much at least they didnt take them to any old pound.

James

What is sad is when they can’t afford to take care of their animals. I see it all the time.

jeannie

Sooo, this one makes me laugh….You must be a "rich" person and good for you! I would say around 40-50% (prob more!)of the dogs population is outside of the "rich" breeders realm and the in the "real or poor" world which include shelters and animal rescues. (Some of the animals are purebreds and the $1,000 the owner once had when he PURCHASED his animal has been depleted in this economical crisis we are in and the animal goes to a shelter!)Animal shelters and resuces don’t have $1000.00 per pet to take care of if they are in medical need and they feed their animals based on the communities generousity of name brand and non name brand foods to feed these animals…But they still try and take these animals in and care for them and try to find loving homes for them to live out their lives in. Sooooo, the questions now becomes, should us "poor" people just let the animals in the shelters rot until they die because we don’t have a big purse with lot’s of money in it or do we attempt to adopt them and do the best we can for them knowing in our hearts that we can give them a better life then the shelters can. Good for you that you can adopt or PRE-order a dog that was probably never in existance before you wanted it and dam the animals that are already born through no fault of their own. Hmmm, sounds simple don’t it, lol!

Jennifer

I don’t totally agree with your statement, but on the same hand i don’t disagree. There are lots of families with limited means that provide excellent homes for an animal.
    But if someone can’t afford care there are options where the owner can relinquish rights to the animal to a vet or the SPCA.
    I was given my dog, actually i consider him my baby, after my divorce. I have very limited means. He is healthy and happy. He has a sensitive stomach, but i stick to one brand of food and give him no table food.
    There are ways to give an animal a full and happy life without having to buy the most expensive food.

Valerie

Owning a pet of any kind is an expense and I believe that before you decide to get one, you sit down and work out what you can afford to spend on said pet, and if then you decide you can afford one, you factor an amount into your weekly expenses. This includes food, normal vet bills and and extra amount to put away in a special bank account for unexpected vet bills.

sue

How long will this go on,so poor people own pets.I adopted a puppy in April and we are not poor but not rich.we get her spayed in July.even the poor need a dog.they are good for people.so lets stop this and let us enjoy our sweet pets.

Nancy

As a former shelter manager the above reply is so correct. Yes, pe
    dts are brought into shelters with such excuses that I have had to restrain myself from going over the counter and wring their necks. The main reason is that they failed to even attempt to train a puppy so gave it up, second is vet bills..polished fingernails, top of the line cars, hair done every week..but no money will be spent on vet bills..too high, then there is we are moving,going on vacation, he puppy got too big,and on and on. I would love to get a companion animal for my pet but I am not simply because I could not afford the high vet bills and I would never dump my dog off at a shelter needing medical care.

Mary

I was very upset to read your comment! I have owned 4 dogs so far and I gave them all the best of care just like my three children got. I always worked to support my family and then I got laid off and came down with cancer, so I’m on SSD. Do you think I should find a new home for my dog ( she’s 14)who I’ve had for 8 yrs. Just because my finances have change don’t mine I don’t love anymore.

Mary

Boy, if it was only $50 to adopt a pet we would be in more trouble. Try $420 here in Maine to adopt a resuced animal. I have always got my dogs from the shelters. My baby has been with me for 8 years now and I paid $150 then, but this time I will be purchasing a pug puppy for $300 and pet insurance.

Mary

Great for you, you tell them. I have always love my animals as much a my three children. But the dog always gives back. She got me up and about when I whent through Chemo and we walk everyday. I found by walking and picking up the soda and beer cans her minors are better and she makes more then enough for her food and vet care. She also loves me better the the kids.

Linda

I cannot help but disagree with you, some animals do not come to you just going into a petshop and bringing it home, some animals have an immediate need, ‘abandonment, and they find you! WHAT IF they’ve been abandoned and been out for days and hungry, not knowing where to go or who to go to? The pet finds you or you find it and you don’t have much money and in some cases no money the person has more ability to care for the animal than not: what we’re discussing on the poor people owning pets is really the "Ideal, perfect solution for pets: it just doesn’t work anymore than it does people. We have extremely poor people and yet they are capable in some degree to help themselves, but yet not much. Am I that pets keeper? or should I just let this pet continue to wander wondering where to go? I simply won’t do it! That’s how every pet we have came to us 9 in all. Money? insurance? no I don’t have it, taking my pets to m vet isn’t always an ideal situation: I’m just fortunate to have a vet willing to work with me. She recently saved the life of my dog who had to have surgery because she was full of bladder stones 2. 1/2 lbs. There was no question for us our dog was going to have this surgery even if we had to hunt the whole area down. Our dog’s life was/is worth everything to us: we go to the store buy them food, play with them, offer shelter and love, and they are family and always will be: yes you can be poor in pocket book, but you can be rich in the how, why, and as much ability as you can to take care of your pets: I beleive God sent all 9 charges to me: 2 dogs, 1 cat and 9 birds

Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 236 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.