Is It Cruel?

Home Community Dogs Is It Cruel?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Linda 17 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

My neighbours recently got a new puppy – a Border Collie. I know Border Collies need space to run and something to constantly keep their mind active but my neighbour’s garden is quite small, especcially for a Border Collie. :'( Many people who live in towns like mine have these dogs but they are animals who were bred to work in the countryside. There is not much I can do about this new puppy (she is so cute! :)) but do you live with or know another border Collie who lives in a town/city? Can you put my mind at rest that this dog will be alright?

I’m pretty sure that the pup will be fine. I used to live in a condominium complex where they had very small patios and minimal space inside. My neighbors had a Border Collie and she was healthy and happy even with the lack of space. So ease up on the worry, she will probably do fine. 🙂

Karen

If the owners give the dog enough physical and mental exercise, take advantage of facilities even in urban areas that offer Agiliity and Flyball, the dog will be fine. I have worked with bored Border Collies living on small farms but were not used for working that were in far worse shape than ones living in suburban or even urban areas but who were walked often, given good runs and taken to various activities and even competing in sports. I knew one BC that lived near downtown Boston, MA who was in great physical and mental shape because the owner KNEW what needed to be done and made sure it was.

Allie

It is definitely not unheard of having Border Collies in small quarters, I have one, however I live on a 17 acre farm. True, they need almost constant mind and physical stimulation since they are very hyper dogs, very smart and extremely active, not to mention prone to peeing when they’re excited. I have owned Border Collies since I was 17 and in that time have lived within city limits with little space. As long as they have that constant stimulation it should be ok. Suggest getting the puppy into fly-ball, (need to start early) the dog will get the stimulation she needs both mentally and physically, not to mention it’s just incredible to watch (one of my border collies did this sport). Rest assured though, as long as the new proud owners get involved and take the time to do what it takes to keep her occupied, mentally and physically, everything should be A-OK!

Linda

Lack of space doesn’t necessarily constitute abuse. my neighbor is always out feeding and taling to her dog. even though i don’t approve of keeping this chocolate lab in the small kennel I can’t say she doesn’t take care of him.

also, as in their case keeping the area clean of feces is also another tale sign that the dog is not being abused.

crumble, crumble crumble. My dogs get a walk a day down Owyee street if I can help it, get to play out in the back yard, live in the house with us, and go for car rides when it’s cool enough.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.