Why A Cat?

Home Community Cats Why A Cat?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Karen 20 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Karen

Let’s see, as the owner of five cats… Biting issues, well, any animal can and will bite especially if they are irritated or annoyed. The more gently handled cats are and the better managed and socialized and trained (yes, trained, they need to learn the manners required to live in a human society) the less likely they are to bite or scratch. Cat’s have not been as domesticated as dogs and maintain far more wild-type behaviors than dogs, but what you get is based much on what you put into them as well as matching the correct type of cat for your life. Destructive, yes if they are allowed to get bored and not taught what is and is not appropriate behaviors. If given the chance, most cats if allowed outdoors will hunt. So simple remedy, keep them in, nails clipped and plenty of suitable outlets (as well as training them to use them) will fix this. However, cats on farms are great assets keeping down rats and mice that get into barns, grain, etc. Cats are generally lower maintenance animals than dogs or horses. (Unless you get something like a Persian, Himi or other breed that has greater coat care requirements). Cats are social but do not have the great need as dogs do in order to be fully happy. Raising a dog properly is very much the same as raising a child. Cats require a lot less time and overall effort when compared to the average dog. (I am also a professional dog trainer and behavioral consultant). Cats are quieter and will not disturb neighbors with nuisance barking when they are left home alone and get bored. If you have to go away for a night, just leave a clean box, extra food and extra water. You do not have to worry about getting someone to come in several times for that overnight trip and let the dog out. Yes, there may be the odd overturned plant, but leaving extra interactive toys scattered about can help prevent this. Cats can be leash trained too! I have one that comes when called, and knows Sit and Down. Cats have a lot of attractiveness as pets. A well managed and socialized indoor cat is over all an easier pet than the average dog. I love my dogs dearly, but all in all, they are far more work than my five cats.

i acn see why people enjoy the company of dogs horses etc but why do so many people have cats as pets? they only look for affection when they are in the mood and if they aren’t they bite until you stop stroking them. not to mention they eat – no, torture – countless small animals evry day. Why do people have them? ???

Elaine

I live alone in an upstairs apartment. I just spent 3 weeks with my grandson’s (who is moving) dog…. Every time I left the house, Lucy Lu went with me… if she had to potty, I took her out with our little "treasure bag". ::) Now my cat, on the other hand, expects a scratch on the belly and a special food treat when my feet hit the floor in the morning… her only demand of the day. When I leave the house I stop to tell her to remember to take phone messages… ;D… when I return home she is there, sitting in the hall, with her meow greeting. When I am sitting in a chair or lying on the bed and want to cuddle, I have only to call her and she comes running and jumps into my arms (providing she is in the mood also). She only stays for as much cuddling as she wants and/or when I have had enough I set her down and she goes about her business. Oh yes, when I am at the ‘puter, she usually sleeps on my feet. Her only real requirements are, a basket of proper toys, a clean litter box, and fresh water and food available. No "stop what you are doing and take me for a walk," or "I’m bored, play/entertain me," or "if we don’t go outside now I might poop on the floor…". For extended trips, she walks well on a leash and understands what a "dog" walk at the rest areas is for. I am single by choice because I love my freedom. I adore Lucy Lu and she can come visit anytime. However, I would no more have a dog than I would have another husband, or my grown children move back in! And BTW, the only small animals she has ever murdered are the catnip filled toy mice that I bring home for her…. on the other hand, Lucy chewed the heal off my grandson’s shoe that her left at my house…hmmm ::) Next week my son and his family will take a week long vacation. I will have to stay at their house while they are gone to take care of their rotwieller and husky, parrot, iguanna, 3 rabbits, and 8 chickens. On the other hand, I will pop in back at home once a day to scratch my kitty’s tummy and give her a special treat. It just comes down to "different strokes for different folks"!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.