too young of a horse for children

Home Community Horses & Riding too young of a horse for children

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Rebecca 12 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Jennifer

I have two sons 11 and 9 y/o, and my husband and I are looking into buying a horse for them. They are inexperienced riders, but are willing to learn all about what is required to owning and taking care of a horse. We recently found a horse that is 2 1/2 y/o. My concern is if the horse is too young and energetic for my inexperience riders. According to the people selling the horse, she is spirited, but docile and takes well to commands given to her, but I have heard from another person, that a horse as young as this one would be too energetic for my children at their age & experience. Would anyone have any thoughts on this and possible provide some insights on this matter. Thank you!

Rebecca

The general rule is the more inexperienced the rider, the older the horse. Even if this young horse does not seem super energetic, he does not have the experience to deal with all the little mistakes that the children will make. A young horse looks to his rider for guidance and confidence, and will not be above trying to get his own way if he thinks he can get away with it. This does not make the horse bad-he is just being a horse, but his antics can scare children(and adults!) Your best bet would be to find a horse between 15 and 20 that has been ridden A LOT and can just do his job while the children learn. If they haven’t already taken lessons, perhaps finding a qualified stable and good instructor will help fill the gap until you find the horse that is right for you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.