Help! My mare can’t eat her hay!

Home Community Horses & Riding Help! My mare can’t eat her hay!

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Kiley 12 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Chantale

Hi, I recued a 7 y/o clydesdale mare 2 weeks ago, she was neglected and not fed. Things been going well with her, she’s a sweetheart. But Yesterday, I saw that she had difficulties to eat her hay… She tosses it with her head, tries to chew, does a weird thing with her mouth like she’s about to throw up and spit it out. She’s very cranky, she attacks my other clydesdale gelding. She eats her grains. I’m new with horses so I was wondering if someone can help me? Could she have a teeth problem? Something stuck? a wound in her mouth? I couldn’t reach a vet 🙁
    Thanks!

Click on any picture to see full size:

veronica

I would have a vet check her teeth because there’s a possibility they need need floated. (which means they use a tool to file them down in the back) some horses need it more often than others. it’s roughly a $150-$200 to have it done. she could be in some pain. when a horse throws their head thats a good indicator they’re in discomfort. good luck!

Kiley

Yes, call the dentist and vet. 7 is far too young to be having as many problems as she is having. Otherwise, in old, old horses (30+) we have bought Hay cubes and socked in water to make a mash. That plus senior feed works, and there is no need for hay.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.