Icy conditions

Home Community Horses & Riding Icy conditions

This topic contains 1 reply, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Monica 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Monica

Living in Ohio, we have recently had a lot of ice – not sleet, but ice. We have about 2 inches of pure ice around our barn. We have kept the horses in their stalls for 4 days, now. There is no way they can walk on it. While the plan is to throw down some sand/straw/manure to help with traction, we aren’t sure this will even do the trick.
    What can I expect as far as side effects of no exercise for these guys? None of them are shoed right now, but the conditions are so bad that even walking up and around there results in falls from both my husband and I. I realize salt is not a good option, but unless we get a good thaw going (which may or may not happen this weekend), that ice is there to stay for awhile.
    Is there any changes in their diet that I need to make? I feel so bad for them, having to stay in there for so long. However, I’m very nervous about getting them out, even if the traction seems stable, for fear they will be RARING TO GO!! One slip and we could all be in big trouble.
    Thanks for your feedback!!

Monica

I wanted to add that if it were just a matter of a small area, we could break it up, but this is an area about 30×30 on one side and 15×20 on the other and VERY thick.
    Thanks.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.