bad behaving mare

Home Community Horses & Riding bad behaving mare

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Brenda 13 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Lori

I have an 8 yr old mare who once shared a paddock with 2 other horses who were introduced to her at a young age, she was always alpha horse. We sold the other 2 horses and she has been alone in the pasture for 6 years, not ridden much either. I have regained interest, and also the time, and want to start riding her again. For a horse that has not been ridden for 6 yrs she does awesome as long as she is by herself….get her by another horse, doesn’t matter the sex, and she turns into some sort of deranged horse, acts like she is in season, lift her tails, sprays "white stuff" , screams, kicks and paws, acts VERY MEAN..and does this all the time. She is not in heat that much. I just purchased a 7 yr old gelding to ride and keep her company, and upon introducing them, she ran him down, and kicked him horribly, she lowers her head and pins her ears back, SHE IS MEAN….What can I do ? Will she ever overcome this ???

georgia

maybe because shes not seen any horse in six years shes not used to company and if she had mates at young age she might no remember how to act without being mean so i what i would do is put her with a horse her own age or older and slowly get her used to other horses again i hope this helps good luck

Brenda

Mares can stay in heat for months. You need to separate these two horses until they can get along. It may take some time, but don’t try to ride them in the same ring or area, you don’t know what this mare will do and it could be very dangerous for both you and the mare.
    Have you read anything about Parelli training. It is a more gentle way of training. You need to do some ground work before taking this horse out on the trail. I have a horse who doesn’t like anyone in his stall. By working using Parelli methods, I have taught my horse to like having me in his stall because we have started doing fun things in it. Like backing out of his stall, backing into his stall and just anything that gets his attention and seems like a game. Good Luck. Let me know how you make out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.