My rat "Mister" died last week

Home Community Pet Loss Support My rat "Mister" died last week

This topic contains 4 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Erin 12 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Erin

My best friend passed away July 20, 2010. He was 2 and a half yrs. old. For 4 months he was battling fluid in his lungs which was so severe that he was going into heart failure. He would have choking spells alot where he would be gasping for breath and I used an oxygen concentrator machine to help him breath. My vet couldn’t believe he was holding out for so long with this illness-she said he was the toughest rat she had ever seen. I would stay up with him many nights to help him through his choking spells. It was a slow death for him but he was so strong.I spent so much money on his exams and medications but I’d spend it all again just to have him back. My vet even offered to specially order his medicine in a marshmallow flavor made just for rats so the medicine would actually taste good and I had her order it but it was very expensive but I didn’t care-I wanted him to be as comfortable as possible. I wanted him to have medicine that wouldn’t make him gag. The medicine was pleasant for him but he still had breathing attacks where he would really gasp for air. To see him struggle to breath was painful. He left behind his cagemate "runt"- a black rat. (Mister was a beautiful woodsey grey color)
    Four days after Mister died, I adopted 2 young dark hooded rats from Petco that someone left there a few days ago so Runt won’t be lonely but I know he still misses Mister. I miss him so much,every time I think of him I cry. He was so sweet and a great friend. I have many photographs of him to look at. I could lay down for a while and Mister would always come and cuddle with me. Such a sweet little guy. I love him and I love people who love animals like all of you fine folks. Thank you for letting me share my story. It helps to heal a bit. …..Erin

Rachel

I’m so sorry for your loss. I think it’s so cool you gave a little creature such an amazing life…probably more love than a rat could ever hope for. Your story warmed my heart and made me feel sad for you at the same time, I wish I’d have come across it earlier.
    I hope by now your pain is easing a bit. Keep being an exceptional pet owner 🙂

Erin

Dear nitromegalamb, thank you so much for your kind words! I love people who love animals! Mister’s friend "Runt" is now slowly becoming sick from this lung illness but I think it’s under better control with medicine. He reminds me of Mister now that he’s sick. He’s so tired and wants to sleep all the time. He’s so sweet. Thanks again for your kindness! I really love your user name too! Thanks! …..Erin

Gracie

I really feel for you, I lost my little rat Bill this way years ago leaving his brother Ben alone (I thought I would loose Ben too because he stopped eating for a while afterwards) I also watched my baby suffering with choking attacks, one I vividly remember he was sitting next to his food bowl with a seed in his hands and started coughing and dropped the seed and began really shaking, and he lost some fur and so much weight, he was put down in the end and I now feel bad because I didn’t bring him back home afterwards because I didn’t want to see him that way, its a horrible thing to go through watching your baby suffer like that, I haven’t owned rats since little Ben past away a year later because I don’t want to watch something like that happen again.

Erin

Dear Gracie,, read your post and I just lost it, started balling, that is so incredibly sad what you wrote. I’m so sorry for that struggle. Nothing more heartbreaking than witnessing a little animal trying to breath. Between Nov. and Feb., I lost 3 more rats to respitory diseases and 2 mice to them. King Isaac, Spock & Spartacus were the rats and my 2 lady mice: Lena & Fiona.
    I still have 3 rats left: Sol, Dumby (hes a Dumbo rat) and a 1 month old baby, Ungadore. Its so depressing to see them suffer these lung problems, I have considered not keeping them when the remaining pass away..but a life without rats (to me) is no life at all. Thanks so much for sharing your touching experience. It was very emotional. I’m so sorry for your (and your babys’) pain. You are a very cool person. Poor little Bill. No animal should have to struggle to breathe.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.