introducing kitten to older cats

Home Community Pet Adoption introducing kitten to older cats

This topic contains 2 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  critterkeeper 19 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Gretelsgma

I have two indoor cats , male and female, about two years old. I have taken in a new stray kitten that is now about nine weeks old. I keep the kitten on the porch alone much of the day and watch when they are together, as he eats a different kitten food. The older cats run from the tiny kitten. Is this normal. What can I expect? I have had him three weeks now.

It’s always best to introduce your new pet to your existing pets, one at a time. In your case, put your older cats in a room (bedroom) and close the door. Bring the new kitten into the main area (livingroom), allow the kitten to explore the room for a while, then bring back ONE of your older cats (usually the dominant one) and make your introductions. Monitor the situation closely, then put the older cat back into the bedroom and do the same thing with your other cat. NEVER leave your new kitten alone in the room with either of the older cats, until you have observed their acceptance of the newcomer. Remember it’s important that the kitten be in the room first, and the older animals be brought into the room to meet him/her. Be patient, this may take a while. 🙂

kelee62

I adopted a 1 yr old cat in late April and 3 weeks ago adopted a 10 week old kitten. My daughter and I have tried several times to introduce the older cat to the kitten but everytime the older cat hisses and claws at the kitten and then they go their separate ways until the kitten walks by where the older cat is hiding and then it starts all over again. Neither one of them is declawed and I am afraid that the older cat is going to hurt the kitten. Any suggestions? ???

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.