Should My New Horse Have Coggins Papers?

When you buy a horse from a horse sale are you supposed to get papers about a coggins test?

It is now?Federal law that you have a Coggins test done on any horse that will be sold, shown, or traveling out of state.?The test is to be done each year and is accomplished by your vet who draws blood from the horse and takes it to an approved lab. You should receive these papers from the seller at the point of sale, along with any other documentation. The results are returned to the vet in 2-3 days.?For more information and a sample certificate, visit the resources below.