Can Rabbits Eat Wild Mushrooms?

James Glover
by James Glover
View Biography

QuestionIs it safe for rabbits to eat the fungus/toadstools that are growing in my lawn? (natalie anginotti - United Kingdom)

Answer

It is generally recommended that rabbits should not be fed any kind of fungus like mushrooms or toadstools. Various sources state that shop-bought white button mushrooms are toxic to rabbits, but I am not aware of the specific reason other than a study in mice, which could have very different results. Identification of wild mushrooms (the spore-bearing fruiting body of a fungus) is notoriously difficult, and many wild mushrooms are poisonous to humans. Given that many foods that we eat are toxic to rabbits, it would seem sensible to not allow rabbits to eat any mushrooms. At the very least, unsuitable mushrooms could be hallucinogenic or cause diarrhea.

Disclaimer: This service is meant to provide advice only and is not meant to replace an appointment with a registered veterinarian. Users should always seek a second opinion. Unfortunately we are only able to answer several questions per week so not everyone gets a published answer. And, unfortunately we can't answer by email.
Add Your Comment
Readers' Comments (Newest to Oldest)

There are currently no comments for this topic.