UK Cat Eaten by Stray Pet Python

A couple from the United Kingdom have started a campaign to ban some species of snake, after their pet cat was eaten by their neighbor's 13 foot-long Python.

On the evening of June 25th, Martin and Helen Wadey’s orange and white cat Wilbur was attacked, asphyxiated and consumed whole by their neighbor’s unattended and unsecured Burmese Python, at their home outside Bristol in England.

"Even though a snake of this size could kill a grown adult, let alone a small child, they are not considered a threat to the general public by the Government. Pythons (and Boa Constrictors) do not have to be licensed, nor does the law regulate how they must be kept," said Martin Wadey.

The Wadeys have started a campaign and online petition to urge the UK government to amend the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976 to include Pythons, Boa Constrictors and any non venomous but lethal snake.

"We didn?t choose this campaign, it chose us. The killing of Wilbur was the catalyst and we are merely backing up something that the Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (RSPCA) themselves have asked for," Martin Wadey said in a statement on their campaign website.

This news story is independently sourced and does not specifically endorse products or services offered by any company referenced in this article, or benefit from any association with any companies referenced.