Paws Turning Red

Home Community People & Their Pets Paws Turning Red

This topic contains 6 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Catherine 16 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Anna

So my parents have been away since the 13 of this month and naturally my dogs are a little bit stressed by this, well our older shih tzu started to lick his paws quit a bit (daily for sure) and their turning a rusty color, why did he start licking his paws anyone know why?

Stephanie

Could be an allergy, could be an obsession…..and as strange as this may sound (ask your vet…it’s very true) it can also be a sign that the anal glands need to be expressed.

Anna

Well being a dog groomer myself I keep on top of his anal glands getting emptied, this has never happened before.

Stephanie

Oh, okay then. I would say one of the other two….an allergy (food, grass, carpet shampoo/deodorizer so on and so on)..anything like that new in their environment??…when are your parents coming back? Hopefully soon and maybe it will stop…..most of the time though, obsession can be solved with more exercise/stimulation.

Anna

wow I think that might have been right on because they are used to having 3 people around them almost all the time so their attention and playing has been cut back and I can’t think of anything new that’s in the house so maybe he is bored…..good call.

Stephanie

🙂 Hope that’s it.

Catherine

the reason the fur is changing color is due to enzymes in the dogs saliva the constant licking is the cause

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.