What type Of Bird Should I get?

Home Community Birds What type Of Bird Should I get?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Linda 17 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

*Oww, just fell down the stairs* Anyways, My mum said I could have a bird! i already have two hamsters and one puppy. I was thinking of a pigieon (I cannot spell today) but I don’t know. I don’t want something too expensive, nor boring. Something that can have 2-3 hours (maybe a little bit longer….) of exercise per day and not get mad.

usernamexy

i have baby cockatiels, they are small parrots, i am selling for 50$

aspenpash

I want a colerful bird yet cheap. ???

a_handful

hi there i am a little concerned that the initiator of the topic is someone who wants a bit that does not need too much exercise. That is really the not the correct way to go about chossing a pet. If you are to give any pet a quality home it needs to be understood that there are issues like excercise, cleaning, attention and feeding that are part of the package. The there are of course the vets bills – not only for whaen the pet is sick but as a matter of routine on an annual basis to ensure good health. my message is not one of do not get a pet but one of choosing carefully as the wellbeen of the pet then becomes your responsibility for the duration of its life.

I used to have a cockatiel, she was an excellent bird. Cockatiels (at least the male ones) can talk and don’t get tired very easily. They kind of look like miniature cockatoos except they come in different colors, dark grey and light grey are the most common though. My bird was charcoal black. They are also intensely smart, Coal learned how to do some math. Cockatiels are almost never boring.They are native to Australia, so it’s best if they don’t freeze 😉 PS: you’re so lucky that your parents are letting you get a bird. I’m still working on mine:)

Right, I forgot one thing. They have color on their cheeks, the top of their head, and their tail. They stay quiet and happy even without alot of excercise (for instance, if you couldn’t be there one day).

Linda

Hamsters and birds really shouldn’t be in the same home if you can help it.

Also, I really think you should reconsider wanting a bird.

birds, any size are like little brothers. they don’t want to be left in a cage, nor do they want to be left alone.

Little Brother bird wants to go and be everywhere with you.

Please reconsider, getting a different pet until you are a little older.

garima

I agree that maybe another pet isn’t a great idea. I wasn’t aloud to have a dog I got birds and there is A LOT of ressponsibillity. But if you think you can commit to a puppy , hamster and bird then I would suggest a pair of budgies (so they won’t get lonely) And a big size budgies cage so they can fly around since they won’t be able to be let all day long. Budgies are very colourful. There normal colours are green and blue. They usually cost around 19.99 or 14.99 each. If you want colours like yellow, teal, or other fancy colours they cost around 24.99 each. I don’t know what you mean by mad but if you want budgies to be friendly with you you will have to play with them and spend A LOT of time with them. At least a few hours a day. And the shouldn’t be locked up as prisoners. Only get birds if you are willing to take on the responsibility and time.

Betsy

The other issue here is what is going to happen to the birds when you "grow up" and go to college or move on in life. I get so many birds into my rescue that belonged to kids who only had them a year or two and then they get dumped on a shelter. They are very long lived (or should be with proper care). A cockatiel can live 25 years or more..are you going to keep this bird its whole life? The other issue is the HIGH cost of vet care. A vet visit with blood work costs me about $125..and that is a BASIC part of bird care. I had a bird get his beak cracked by another bird in a fight, and it cost me $400 for beak repair surgery. Exotic animal vets are hard to find, and are more expensive than regular vets. A routine exam is generally $40 Are your parents willing to spend the money to provide your bird with quality care in the event of an illness or injury? We have seen more than a few posts on here by people with sick or injured birds who are unable or unwilling to provide medical care, and that just isn’t right. It costs money to keep a pet and birds should not be considered lesser animals in terms of having a right to medical care. Not meaning to lecture, but I don’t think people think about the costs down the road. Please don’t get a bird unless you plan on keeping it its whole life…and I also agree with cute birdz that they all need time out of the cage and if you are at school all day, probably need a buddy like she suggested with getting 2 budgies.

Linda

The most important 3 things to remember if you can about getting a pet bird are these.

1. they are not decorations. they need love, lots of time with you,, and lots of out of jail time.

2. All birds, even captive born will and do have "Wild Behaviors, not mean ones. And more often than not, people in general do not know how to deal with this, and birds end up with people like Betzbirds. In an animal rescue.

3. Children, tend to get very busy and caught up in what they are doing, and soon forget to water, feed, clean and care for a pet bird, and then mom or dad who work have to care for this bird, and often, your mum, or dad doesn’t want to deal with the bird, nor have the time and patience.

so I hope that you change your mind about getting a bird, and will only say hello to them when visiting them at stores.

many prayers.

Sage

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.